Old 20-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Mike

Default Mulching Push Mower Recommendations ( Specifically Toro 20033 vs John Deere JS60H )

I need a new push mower, not self-propelled. The major requirement is
that I want it to cut the grass cleanly and also want it to mulch
really well. Based on Consumer Reports and other research, I've
basically narrowed it down to two mowers, though I'd be open to
suggestions for others.
The two a
Toro Super Recycler #20033 (Approx. $369)
http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/supe...ler/index.html

John Deere JS60H (Approx. $399)
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...20Mowers&tM=HO
(That link might not work appropriately...)

Both are supposed to be good at cleanly cutting the grass and also
both are supposed to do a good job with mulching.

I plan to mulch 90%+ of the time, so the fact that the JD doesn't have
a bag option doesn't really bother me.

The Toro has a 5-yr warranty and the JD has a 2-yr warranty. That
extra 3 years for the warranty is pretty nice, to be honest.

As it is, I'm probably leaning towards the Toro b/c of the warranty.
HOWEVER, I've heard bad things about Aluminum decks and the warping
that can occur, etc. So, maybe the JD is the right choice? Anyone
know what I should expect to pay for the JD?

I'd love to spend less, but, I'm tired of having crappy equipment that
doesn't last a long time and doesn't work well. I currently have a
Craftsman One-Pull or whatever and it sucks. For whatever reason, it
has never cut the grass evenly. I don't know if it doesn't have
enough suction power to pull the grass up or what, but it is awful.
I've even sharpened and replaced the blades, etc. When I bag it does
a decent job, but not when I mulch. I borrowed a friends JD last year
(about 5yrs old) to mow a couple of times and the difference was
STUNNING.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Mike