Old 22-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Jerry

Default How do I prep sand box?

Greetings,

I have a large sand box playground in my back yard about 25' x 40'. Have
swings and slides and such for the kids. Last summer and fall I was very
busy and could not find the time to keep it weeded. Consequently, it got
overgrown and rather messy. This year I do not want to let it get so out
of hand.

I have pulled the weeds already, but is there anything I can do to the sand
to keep them from coming back? Or at least minimize them? Would tilling
in some lime help? I wanna kill the weeds there, not the kids.

Thank You for your time.
Old 22-03-2004, 06:32 PM
GFRfan

Jerry wrote:
Greetings,

I have a large sand box playground in my back yard about 25' x 40'. Have
swings and slides and such for the kids. Last summer and fall I was very
busy and could not find the time to keep it weeded. Consequently, it got
overgrown and rather messy. This year I do not want to let it get so out
of hand.

I have pulled the weeds already, but is there anything I can do to the sand
to keep them from coming back? Or at least minimize them? Would tilling
in some lime help? I wanna kill the weeds there, not the kids.

Thank You for your time.

If you have enough neighborhood kids playing in it, it should take care
of itself. Have the kids pull a weed or two.

--
Yard and garden Handyman

Old 22-03-2004, 09:09 PM
GFRfan

GFRfan wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Greetings,

I have a large sand box playground in my back yard about 25' x 40'.
Have swings and slides and such for the kids. Last summer and fall I
was very busy and could not find the time to keep it weeded.
Consequently, it got overgrown and rather messy. This year I do not
want to let it get so out of hand.

I have pulled the weeds already, but is there anything I can do to the
sand to keep them from coming back? Or at least minimize them? Would
tilling in some lime help? I wanna kill the weeds there, not the kids.

Thank You for your time.

If you have enough neighborhood kids playing in it, it should take care
of itself. Have the kids pull a weed or two.

Plus, are there any cats using it as a bathroom? That would provide the
fertilizer that weeds would need.

--
Yard and garden Handyman
Old 23-03-2004, 03:07 AM
Steveo

GFRfan wrote:
GFRfan wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Greetings,

I have a large sand box playground in my back yard about 25' x 40'.
Have swings and slides and such for the kids. Last summer and fall I
was very busy and could not find the time to keep it weeded.
Consequently, it got overgrown and rather messy. This year I do not
want to let it get so out of hand.

I have pulled the weeds already, but is there anything I can do to the
sand to keep them from coming back? Or at least minimize them? Would
tilling in some lime help? I wanna kill the weeds there, not the
kids.

Thank You for your time.

If you have enough neighborhood kids playing in it, it should take care
of itself. Have the kids pull a weed or two.

Plus, are there any cats using it as a bathroom? That would provide the
fertilizer that weeds would need.

Every cat in the neighborhood..

Old 23-03-2004, 09:12 AM
BigDaDDY

Steveo wrote:

GFRfan wrote:
GFRfan wrote:
Jerry wrote:

[...]

Can't you just put some plastic down and put the sand on top of it?
Old 23-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Jerry

BigDaDDY wrote in
:

Steveo wrote:

GFRfan wrote:
GFRfan wrote:
Jerry wrote:

[...]

Ha ha, I see you guys aren't comin up with much more than me. Oh
well... a little more info might fan the fires,

I thought of putting some plastic down and covering with sand, but it
already has some plastic and I just dont think it would do much good.
Seeds land in the sand and grow. And not just weeds, but grass and
trees and everything floating about.

As for the cats, I was gonna do em with my pellet gun, but then I
figgered I'd make just as much fertilizer from burying them in the
sandbox. As much as I dislike cats, I can't just kill em outright like
that anyway - lol. Mebbe a dog... Birds are probably more to blame
than cats anyway.

As for kids, This sandbox takes up about 1/3 of my back yard (on the lot
that my house is on anyway, have adjacent empty lot on corner) which is
surrounded by a privacy fence. My 6 yo daughter is the main user, but
last year she was at babysitters so much, she didnt use it much. I am
single dad to her and a boy of 14. I own 2 businesses and have a
regular starvation wage job as well. Sometimes I just get too darn
busy. Anyway, if my boy can stay home this summer, he will get the job,
but he likes to visit friends in other states during the summer as it is
his only chance. If I get busy enough though and as a last resort, I
s'pose it can become the job of some other neighborhood kid.

I was really wondering what would be the impact of liming the sand real
well. Would that pose any hazard to children? And if I did that,
assuming ok for kids etc., how much should I put down and how deep
should I till it in? Would I need like a couple yards - or that too
much? Would I have to put it down and keep kids out of it for a couple
weeks or anything like that? Or is this just a bad idea?

Still fishin'...

Old 23-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Jerry

BigDaDDY wrote in
:

Steveo wrote:

GFRfan wrote:
GFRfan wrote:
Jerry wrote:

[...]

Heated Sand Box Judith in England United Kingdom 9 14-02-2017 12:01 AM
Heated Sand Box Propagator green[_2_] United Kingdom 1 28-02-2008 04:33 PM
builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 03:46 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 05:20 PM
English box, Japanese box growth. Which faster? Nick Cook Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM