Old 27-03-2004, 05:02 AM
James Nipper

Default Heavy Duty -- Good Traction Mower?

I have a summer cabin in the mountains. Because I don't live there full
time, the grass can get up to three feet at times. Part of the land is on
a pretty good slope, so I need good traction on a self propelled mower.

For about 25 years, I have used a Yazoo high wheel mower. It has a Briggs
and Stratton engine, I believe it is 7 hp. The mower is about worn
out, and I am thinking about replacing it.

This old mower uses a friction feed type thing whereby a spinning gear thing
rubs up against the wheel tire, and makes it move. It is NOT a good system
, as you don't get real good traction that way. It is sufficient if you are
on perfectly level, dry land. No good on a slope or in wet conditions.

What is a good replacement, hopefully something with a real gear drive??
Around 7-8 hp is still ok. Price around $700-900 is about what I think
I could spend. I do like the Briggs and Stratton engine.

Any ideas ??

Thanks !!

--James--