Old 12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Marc

Default Killing thorn bushes

I just moved into a new house. We are preparing to do some landscaping in
the backyard. In the wooded area there are a tremendous amount of those
thorn bushes (not really a bush but more like a stem coming out of the
ground covered with thorns) that I would like to det rid of in selected
areas. Is there any recommeded way to get rid of them other than having a
front end loader come in and tear them up? Just curious. Thanks...

Old 12-04-2004, 04:36 PM
RoyDMercer

Round up makes brush killer, which is really just a stronger version of
their regular herbicide. If you can't find it, you can just buy the regular
concentrated round up and mix it stronger than recommended.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Steveo

"Marc" wrote:
I just moved into a new house. We are preparing to do some landscaping
in the backyard. In the wooded area there are a tremendous amount of
those thorn bushes (not really a bush but more like a stem coming out of
the ground covered with thorns) that I would like to det rid of in
selected areas. Is there any recommeded way to get rid of them other
than having a front end loader come in and tear them up? Just curious.
Thanks...

Sounds like black berries. You'll have to wait till they're growing
to use round-up on them. I doubt a front end loader will eradicate
them, they are -very- hearty.
Old 29-04-2004, 05:09 AM
Steve Parrish

Get a brush killer product containing triclopyr. This is in Ferti-Lome's
Brush and Stump Killer and a Green Light product called Cut Vine and Stump
Killer. Take a hatchet to the stem and then paint the triclopyr on the fresh
cut. Should kill the root so that they will not sucker out from the root
tips. Ferti-Lome has a website at www.v-p-g.com that has a dealer locator to
find your nearest retailer.

"Marc" wrote in message
I just moved into a new house. We are preparing to do some landscaping in
the backyard. In the wooded area there are a tremendous amount of those
thorn bushes (not really a bush but more like a stem coming out of the
ground covered with thorns) that I would like to det rid of in selected
areas. Is there any recommeded way to get rid of them other than having a
front end loader come in and tear them up? Just curious. Thanks...

Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn marija hajdic Bonsai 0 21-01-2004 01:30 PM
Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn marija hajdic Bonsai 0 21-01-2004 01:22 PM
Mystery thorn tree Ray Johnstone Plant Science 19 08-01-2004 04:15 PM
Reaction from a Thorn Cdonahey41 Roses 6 14-08-2003 05:42 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 05:27 PM