GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dollar weeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/59058-dollar-weeds.html)

Oldsquid 17-04-2004 05:04 PM

Dollar weeds

I live in Jacksonville, Fl and the dollar weed problem is horrible here,
does anyone know of a way to get rid of them, except useing "Scott's Bonus
S" tried it last year killed my grass, not the dollar weed...

Peace to you,
Oldsquid

lois 18-04-2004 03:10 AM

Dollar weeds

Change to a liquid.

For St Augustine lawn [assume its floratam - most common variety]

You can get Atrazine at walmart; however you must read the directions on
temperature. The brands that come in the white bottle have a white
powder-like stuff in it which can dry and plug up your sprayer bottle

It can be applied no more than once a month. Lawn only; use a
glyphosate like roundup in gardens

Calm-No wind!!

Its effective only when they are growing.

Its best to apply in the evening, [2nd choice-early am] 2 days before a
rain [or using your sprinkler system]. Figure out your square footage.
I use a hose end sprayer [labeled for weeds]- the simple kind like at
walmart

Other grasses - weedbgone [the big refill tells which grasses are safe]
And it comes in a bottle that you can attach to your hose. Strong
stuff!!

Chances are there are oodles of seed just waiting to germinate.

I have a pair of rubber boots just for weed spraying

Oldsquid 24-04-2004 03:06 AM

Dollar weeds

I have a mixed bag for grass... so, I'll just have to try the atrizne...

Thanks for your reply...
Bill

Steve Parrish 29-04-2004 05:09 AM

Dollar weeds

Give a new Ferti-Lome product a try. Stuff is called Weed-Free Zone. It is a
mixture of Trimec and a new herbicide by the name of carfentrazone. Kills
only broadleaf weeds and is labeled for most all kinds of turf. Works in
just a few days.