Old 18-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Don P

Default dead spots in lawn

How can I get rid of some dead spots in my lawn caused by my dog using the
area as her bathroom? I've tried to confine her to a certain area but during
the winter months she has taken to doing her duty closer to the house and
has killed the grass around my patio.
Is cleaning out the area and replanting best and how can I keep her out?

--
Treasure Today You're Not Promised Tomorrow
Don

Old 18-04-2004, 09:08 PM
DIE SPAMMER !!!

Female dog? Female dogs are known for high acidity in their urine. Tomato juice
is suppose to help with that. Training your dog to pee somewhere else isnt'
that hard.

The dog doo will burn also and cleaning it up right away will prevent that too
of course.

Old 20-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Don P

Yes it's a female and she is being trained to use an area where the grass
doesn't grow anyway and is out of the way.
The tomato juice, do we just mix it in the soil? will lime do the same as
the juice?
TIA

Old 20-04-2004, 04:06 AM
DIE SPAMMER !!!

no, you put the tomato juice in the dogs food or water . dont need much I would
think . if you can get the dog to eat the tomato then thats better. how much I
am not sure. A vet or someone else could advise on that .

Old 20-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Peacemaker 9001

Attached Files
File Type: (501 Bytes, 79 views)

Old 21-04-2004, 06:02 AM
RoyDMercer

I'm not sure if it was, but I can send you a pic of some of my dogs' if you
really want one. Be sure to specify 'day old' or 'steamer' in your request.

"Steveo" wrote in message
Is that a picture of your dog shit?

(Peacemaker 9001) wrote:
--WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

we had dead spots in our lawn from washing the car and pouring the water
from the bucket on the grass.forgot it had hard chemicals in it.
i dug out the spots in the grass.i filled it with dog feces.i cut the
grass and i rake the cut grass over the dog feces.
i took 3 weeks and new grass filled in.it looked like new.
my plants were failing.i dug em up,and i put dog feces in the
hole.replanted the plants.all my plants are blooming perfect.
only problem my two dogs broke their cable and ran away.

--WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

htmlhtml
body bgcolor="#0000ff" text="#fffff0"
bgsound src="http://wtv-zone.com/valinpa/songs2/proud2bamerican.mid""
autostart loop="5"
brbr
center
img src="http://wtv-zone.com/valinpa/gifs/geeseflyin.gif"
/center
brbrbrbr
center
font size="3" color="#bda73a" effect="emboss"
a href="http://wtv-zone.com/valinpa/Sigsations-Sig-Maker.html" nocolor
Sigsation's Sig Maker/a/font
/center
brbrbr
/body
/html

--WebTV-Mail-25021-4083--

Old 21-04-2004, 04:04 PM
RoyDMercer

Nope, I got a real computer and I have no desire to put screwy colors and
songs in my messages.

"Steveo" wrote in message
Are you too?

Old 21-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Chet Hayes

Getting back to the OP's problem, it's very difficult to diagnose lawn
problems without having soil samples tested, being able to physically
examine the problem area, knowing when and under what conditions they
occur, etc.

However, over watering and over fertilizing, especially in hot
weather, will lead to disease and fungus problems. If you're putting
fertilizer down in addition to having it professionally done, the lawn
is getting way too much fertilizer. In NJ, I fertilize mine once in
spring together with pre-emergent crabgrass control, then once in
early Sept, then again in late Oct. These are cool season grasses and
you want to encourage the most growth in the cooler temps. I believe
it's better to skip giving the lawn extra nitrogen during the hot
summer months as it can easily promote disease and fungus.

Regarding watering, it should be done deeply, 3/4 inch to an inch and
only as often as necessary. Depending on temps and soil conditions,
this could be from about every fourth day to once a week, assuming of
course it hasn't rained. A lawn is far better of being allowed to go
dormant from lack of water in hot weather than giving it a shallow
watering every day. The watering should be timed so that it's
finished in the early morning, like about 8AM. This avoids
evaporation during the hottest times and allows it to dry out without
being wet for a long period of time. You can tell if your lawn needs
water by walking on it. When the grass does not snap back and you can
see your tracks, it needs water.

I also agree with the advice to switch to the neighbors lawn service
company. BTW, what does your service have to say about the problem?
One key benefit to a lawn service is their experience over the years
and also seeing other lawns that exhibit the same problem at the same
time as yours. You should also see if there is a county agricultural
service available. Here in NJ we have that and you can take a grass
sample to them for advice.