Old 20-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Zero turning radius mowers best? Dixie Chopper ZTR?

I know nothing abt lawn mowing tractors.

However the guys who mow our lawn here at work use Dixie Chopper ZTR
mowers...and man are those things neat!! Fast and can turn on a dime.

Question.... if one was going to buy a mower.... would it be wise to
only look at the ZTR types only? I mean.... are the advantages so
SIGNIFICANT as to just make it a no brainer?

Also..... Im assuming that Dixie Chopper is NOT the only ones who make
ZTR mowers, true? If yes.. what other brands of ZTR mowers are worth
considering?

Thanks in advance!
Old 20-04-2004, 07:07 PM

Also..... Im assuming that Dixie Chopper is NOT the only ones who make
ZTR mowers, true? If yes.. what other brands of ZTR mowers are worth
considering?

How much do you want to pay?
Last year when I was looking at and testing ZTR's, they were pretty
much all in the $6500-$7000 range. Grasshopper, Exmark, Scag.
I test drove an Exmark LazerZ and really liked it, but I like the
Grasshopper's front mount deck (which flips up for maintenance) even
more.

I finally came to my senses and decided to look at mowers in the $4000
range. I think that John Deere has a model in the same style and
price range as the Dixon. I went with the Dixon mainly because a
local lawn company has several of them, and the owner raved about
them.
Old 16-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Matt

Dixie Chopper certainly makes one of the better or best COMMERCIAL ZTR
mowers. For consumer use, there are a few choices at a much lower price
however.

Ariens, Snapper, Toro "Wheel Horse", Simplicity "Derby" and John Deere all
make consumer grade ZTRs. I personally prefer the Snapper because of its
JOYSTICK steering, no complicated dual sticks. The John Deere uses a
steering wheel, which is also easier to use. But I have heard it is being
discontinued. I do know that a company called Middlesworth, that is now
owned by Simplicity, patented a steering wheel zero turn system in the
early or mid '90s which is no longer marketted.

In the commercial arena, there are many BRANDS, but most are built by a few
manufacturers: Magic Circle (Dixie Chopper), Toro (Exmark), Simplicity
(Ferris), Electrolux Home Products (Husqvarna, Yazoo-Kees), Ariens
(Gravely), MTD (Lesco, Cub Cadet), Walker, Encore, Bunton, and a few more.
The price of these models usually start where the consumer models leave
off, and go up from there. A new Dixie Chopper can cost as much or more
than a new KIA Rio automobile.

Any of these machines will reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the
lawn. I know of one man who replaced a 48" John Deere 417 tractor with a
48" Snapper ZTR and cut his lawn mowing time from just over two hours to
about one hour, just about in half! They eliminate most of the need for
trimming, and most of the time spent manuevering. But even the least
expensive consumer models START around US$4000.

Matt

ZTR mowers Red[_2_] Lawns 18 28-01-2009 12:55 PM
Questions about ZTR mowers Bill[_9_] Lawns 1 14-05-2007 09:52 PM
ZTR Mowers ? Iowa883 Lawns 7 27-06-2005 11:58 AM
Zero Turn Radius Mower - Advice Joe Gardening 4 31-01-2005 03:36 AM
It's that time again: Zero turn mowers [email protected] Lawns 4 17-03-2003 03:32 AM