Old 22-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Joe

Default Ants in the Lawn

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Old 22-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Kaushal Mehta

I know I am going off topic but how did you guard them from comming
inside the house?. Thanks.
Old 23-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Doug G

Joe wrote:

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Diazinon granules sprinkled around the mound.

Old 23-04-2004, 08:03 AM
RoyDMercer

"Joe" wrote in message
I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

They make ant bait stations designed for outside use.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ants.htm

Old 23-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Joe

(Kaushal Mehta) wrote:

I know I am going off topic but how did you guard them from comming
inside the house?. Thanks.

I don't do anything. The mounds are probably 60-75 feet from the
house.

Old 23-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Joe

"RoyDMercer" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

They make ant bait stations designed for outside use.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ants.htm

Thanks, I will look into it.

Old 24-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Peter H

"Doug G" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Diazinon granules sprinkled around the mound.

Be sure to water them in and look out for birds coming to feed. The diazinon
will kill them.

Peter H

Old 24-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Steveo

"Peter H" wrote:
"Doug G" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other
large areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Diazinon granules sprinkled around the mound.

Be sure to water them in and look out for birds coming to feed. The
diazinon will kill them.

Peter H

That's mostly from the birds eating the grubs that have
eaten the diazinon. That's why it was outlawed from
the golf courses, and before long retail too.

Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past
soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use
is the main reason, they put organo's in any control
product they could for a while.
Old 25-04-2004, 05:05 AM
dave

Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past
soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use
is the main reason, they put organo's in any control
product they could for a while.

It's more of a shame than people know. All that is left is the
pyrethrins. Wham bam thank you mamm we're outa here. In theory it
sounds great for the environment. When people have to get a new lawn
every few years and repair termite damage every 5 or 6 years maybe the
pendulem will swing the other way.

Old 25-04-2004, 04:10 PM
RoyDMercer

"dave" wrote in message

Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past
soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use
is the main reason, they put organo's in any control
product they could for a while.

It's more of a shame than people know. All that is left is the
pyrethrins. Wham bam thank you mamm we're outa here. In theory it
sounds great for the environment. When people have to get a new lawn
every few years and repair termite damage every 5 or 6 years maybe the
pendulem will swing the other way.

I doubt it will change. Things like that never seem to. I'm still stuck
with a 1.6 gal toilet that can't even flush a 6yr old's turd.

Old 28-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Lar

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:25:59 -0500, Joe
wrote:

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

Most of the granulated ant baits will work ok for you, though they may
be slow working. If you go the way of diazinon, or any insecticide
granule, you will get almost immediate results by instead of
sprinkling the granules about the mound, put 1/2 cup of the granules
in an old gallon container, fill with water, mix, then saturate the
mounds.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Old 28-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Lar

On 24 Apr 2004 01:39:11 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

That's mostly from the birds eating the grubs that have
eaten the diazinon. That's why it was outlawed from
the golf courses, and before long retail too.

Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past
soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use
is the main reason, they put organo's in any control
product they could for a while.

what the problem was that certain water fowl, that actually graze on
the grass are susceptible to it...for them phasing it out, the way of
the industry...something is found to be "friendlier" to the
environment and the older stuff gets phased out. The organo's were
more enviro friendly than the group they replaced, the chlorinates.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Old 28-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Lar

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:07:54 -0400, dave wrote:

Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past
soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use
is the main reason, they put organo's in any control
product they could for a while.
It's more of a shame than people know. All that is left is the
pyrethrins. Wham bam thank you mamm we're outa here. In theory it
sounds great for the environment. When people have to get a new lawn
every few years and repair termite damage every 5 or 6 years maybe the
pendulem will swing the other way.

Go with the pyrethroids, or even the newer products that are out...the
better grub control is an all season control and as far as termite the
best product is 100% after 9 years of US forestry testing...only
product since chlordane to go over 7 years, yet is 166 times less
toxic than Frontline, what the vet puts on the pets for flea control.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 28-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Steveo

wrote:

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.

In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers
an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.

I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large
areas of Ant mounds.

I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent
results with this.

But, what can I use outside????

Most of the granulated ant baits will work ok for you, though they may
be slow working. If you go the way of diazinon, or any insecticide
granule, you will get almost immediate results by instead of
sprinkling the granules about the mound, put 1/2 cup of the granules
in an old gallon container, fill with water, mix, then saturate the
mounds.

He'd be better off using a liquid insecticide(EC) if that's his approach.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants in lawn Joe Zorzin Lawns 3 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM