Old 23-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Wade

Default Need Suggestions For Low Ground Cover Between Slate

On the side of my house I have slate running on a slight downward slope,
tiered off every 4 feet leading from the back of the house to the front. It
is quite dry, but covered with shade. I thought about a zoysia variety, but
there isn't enough sun and KY 31 is out as there isn't a whole lot of
moisture in the summer. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate
them.

Wade

Old 24-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Peter H

"Wade" wrote in message
news
On the side of my house I have slate running on a slight downward slope,
tiered off every 4 feet leading from the back of the house to the front.
It
is quite dry, but covered with shade. I thought about a zoysia variety,

but
there isn't enough sun and KY 31 is out as there isn't a whole lot of
moisture in the summer. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate
them.

Wade

You should let us know where you live.

Peter H

Old 24-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Wade

Oh, yeah that would help, wouldn't it. I am in Raleigh, NC. I've been
thinking about some kind of moss since my original post, but I don't any
experience with the stuff.

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

news

Old 24-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Chet Hayes

As for grass, I've had some success with Jonathon Green Shady Nook.
I've used it on the north end of my house has a sort of alley way,
with woods forming the other side, about 15 ft away. It gets very
little sunlight. I've overseeded for several years and each year it
gets better, though it's been a long process. I can only seed it in
the spring, which is when it gets the most light.

However, I'd also be interested in hearing about other plant
alternatives, as I've considered going to laying down some stepping
stones and surrounding with some other shade loving plant.
Old 24-04-2004, 08:02 PM
RoyDMercer

"Wade" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh, yeah that would help, wouldn't it. I am in Raleigh, NC. I've been
thinking about some kind of moss since my original post, but I don't any
experience with the stuff.

I would stay away from moss because although it can be very nice between
pavers, weeds and grass can easily grow within the moss. Moss seems to be a
nice little trap for grass and weed seeds and it gives them a nice
environment to grow in. If you do use moss, use a product called Amaze
after the moss has established. Amaze will keep weed and grass seeds from
germinating.

Dwarf Mondo Grass would be an excellent choice. It has many varieties and
can be called by quite a few different names, but you'll want to find one
that has a 2-3" growth habit. Nana is the variety which is commonly used
for an application such as yours. It loves shade and will do well in your
zone. It will need to be watered if it's in a dry location.

Old 24-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Chet Hayes

BTW, I live in NJ