Old 24-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Charlie

Default Ignition switch replacement problem

I have an older commercial Bunton with 16 HP B&S engine and electric start.
However the electric start system does not have a solenoid. The battery
cable goes to the keyed ignition switch and from there to the starter motor.
This carries all the juice for the starter, and the lugs on the ignition
switch are really hefty and the connection is a screw type. Need to replace
the switch finally, but old one is not available. Does anyone know of a
source for such a switch. A bunch of old machines by David Bradley and
others were wired this way too, I think. I have magneto ignition so an M
connector on switch would be nice for shutting it off, but not essential.
Have tried lots of different dealers with no luck. Need an old timer's
advice perhaps.
Thanks!!!!!!

Old 24-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Steveo

"Charlie" wrote:
I have an older commercial Bunton with 16 HP B&S engine and electric
start. However the electric start system does not have a solenoid. The
battery cable goes to the keyed ignition switch and from there to the
starter motor. This carries all the juice for the starter, and the lugs
on the ignition switch are really hefty and the connection is a screw
type. Need to replace the switch finally, but old one is not available.
Does anyone know of a source for such a switch. A bunch of old machines
by David Bradley and others were wired this way too, I think. I have
magneto ignition so an M connector on switch would be nice for shutting
it off, but not essential. Have tried lots of different dealers with no
luck. Need an old timer's advice perhaps.
Thanks!!!!!!

If you're sure there's no solenoid, couldn't you just add
one? Then all you need is a momentary switch, or a new key
with assembly. It's easy, you just spit your hot and make
sure you have good ground to everything electrical.

Old 26-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Gomez

"Charlie" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Just add a "Ford" style external starter solenoid to the circuit. This will
keep those 'high amps' drawn by the starter, away from the ignition switch.

Gomez