GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Striping" a lawn? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/59797-striping-lawn.html)

[email protected] 24-04-2004 09:04 PM

"Striping" a lawn?

My next door neighbor has a lawn service mow his lawn.
I notice this last time they mowed, they made the dark/light stripes.

I read an interview with a pro ballfield greenskeeper once, and he
said that's done just by using a bar that leans the grass.

Is there something like this I can mount to my Dixon ZTR, or is this
for "pro" level only?

They use a very expensive Walker mower on my neighbor's lawn.

RoyDMercer 24-04-2004 10:03 PM

"Striping" a lawn?

wrote in message
My next door neighbor has a lawn service mow his lawn.
I notice this last time they mowed, they made the dark/light stripes.

I read an interview with a pro ballfield greenskeeper once, and he
said that's done just by using a bar that leans the grass.

Is there something like this I can mount to my Dixon ZTR, or is this
for "pro" level only?

They use a very expensive Walker mower on my neighbor's lawn.

It's done by using a reel type lawn mower (like the old non-motorized push
lawnmowers). Motorized ones are expensive because they are for the
commercial market. If you have a small area, you can buy one of the old
non-motorized ones.

gntry 25-04-2004 03:04 AM

"Striping" a lawn?

I just read an article about that same topic. It said that the lawn is
"rolled" with a small roller attached to the rear of the mower. you would
mow back and forth and each direction would "roll" the blades of grass the
opposite way.

RoyDMercer 25-04-2004 04:02 AM

"Striping" a lawn?

"gntry" wrote in message
I just read an article about that same topic. It said that the lawn is
"rolled" with a small roller attached to the rear of the mower. you would
mow back and forth and each direction would "roll" the blades of grass the
opposite way.

Yes, you're right. I didn't know they had those. I found a web site:
http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/index.htm

The rollers create the same effect as a reel type lawn mower.