GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sick tree? Please read...link to pics posted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/59930-sick-tree-please-read-link-pics-posted.html)

Michael Elliott 26-04-2004 04:11 AM

Sick tree? Please read...link to pics posted

I've got some pictures of a tree in our backyard posted here
http://michaelelliott3.tripod.com/tree/tree.html

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this; I'm a complete tree
non-expert. I don't even know what species it is. At the end of last
summer, we noticed some strange growths or tumors on the ends of the
twigs. I recall that I broke a couple of them open, and there was a
liquid inside which was bluish in color. This year, I see these small
greenish balls forming along the green shoots. The abnormal-appearing
ones seem to be present at the junction between the leaves and the
twig. There are some smaller ones that also look like normal
fruit/seeds from the tree (they are on their own individual stalks).
There are also some growths on many of the leaves. I've included
close-ups of the front and back of the leaves. The lesions penetrate
through the leaf. I've looked on the 'net a bit, and the only thing
that I can find is "black knot gall" which sounds similar.

If anyone can write back to me at (subject: trees)
and let me know, I'd appreciate it. We're in mid-Oklahoma, if that
helps the species/disease determination. The main info I'm looking for
is:

1) what species of tree is this?

2) do you know what is going on? For all I know, these are normal
findings

3) Any ideas about what to do about it?

Thanks! Michael

Elizabeth 26-04-2004 04:11 AM

Sick tree? Please read...link to pics posted

Looks like Southern Hackberry with nipple gall.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

RoyDMercer 26-04-2004 06:04 AM

[...]

The tree you have is a Hackberry. The fruits on the tree will turn red and
ripen later. The fruits are edible.

I checked around a little and found this web site:
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/aimg92.html

Michael 26-04-2004 02:03 PM

Sick tree? Please read...link to pics posted

In article , RoyDMercer
wrote:

The tree you have is a Hackberry. The fruits on the tree will turn red and
ripen later. The fruits are edible.

I checked around a little and found this web site:
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/aimg92.html

Exactly right I think! Thanks Elizabeth and Roy. I've noticed the
little flies collecting on the plastic slide under the tree. (Although
I thought they were supposed to comeout in the fall).

But that leaves the other lesions...which look like black knot gall I
guess.

Thanks everyone, and if anyone has suggestions, let me know

Michael