Old 26-04-2004, 09:09 PM
tony

Default seeding a lawn

Hi. I have a section of lawn, about 10' x 60', near the street where
the topsoil is very thin & it produces a lot of weeds. I want to
spread about 3 - 4 inches of topsoil on it & seed it. What's a good
way to make sure the weeds don't continue to grow?

tia
Old 27-04-2004, 12:09 AM
RoyDMercer

A healthy thick lawn is the best way to keep weeds away. You can't use
pre-emergent products with a newly seeded area, so it's likely the weeds
will come up with the grass at first. Once the grass gets well established
it should choke out most of the weeds and you can apply weed control
products to take care of the rest.

Old 27-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Chet Hayes

Since you're going to be putting down topsoil, I would kill all the
existing growth with Roundup. A week later, you can mow it short,
then put down the topsoil and reseed. Don't know where you are
located, but it's getting late to start this now here in the
northeast. It will need a lot of frequent watering as the temps get
warmer and there will be more competition from weeds.

Early fall is by far the best time to do this type of project.

Re-seeding my lawn: no visible growth after 16 days! Keith Brown United Kingdom 6 08-04-2009 11:50 PM
lawn seeding? Ni North Carolina 1 03-11-2003 09:33 PM
Lawn Seeding Thrill Gardening 1 05-10-2003 05:32 PM
Seeding lawn v turf - what type Geoff Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Seeding a lawn Dan United Kingdom 2 31-03-2003 09:56 AM