Old 26-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Frank K.

Default Need help with a neighbor's newly planted trees

Sorry. That should say PLANTED

"Frank K." wrote in message
A new neighborhood was built behind my property on what

was
a farm. One of the new neighbor's adjoining my property
planted a row of Leyland Cypress trees just two feet

inside
his property line. I planted a row of them ten feet from

the
three lines so I will be able to mow around them when they
mature. The neighbor's trees are going to grow over the

line
by several feet, restricting my mowing. I am seventy years
old with some health issues and I don't feel that I will

be
able to, or should have to, keep his trees trimmed. I

talked
to him about the situation and he said he is planning to
keep them trimmed, which I don't think is going to happen.
Any ideas on what can I do to get him to move the trees?

Thanks.

Frank

Old 27-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Chet Hayes

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is here, unless you have limited
yard space on your property. Don't these trees add value to both
properties in terms of privacy and scenery? More than half the tree
will be on his side. And your neighbor paid for them.

If you do have limited space, then this is a problem, as leyland
cypress can grow to 60'+ and 15' across. In this case, there are
other screening trees that would have been better choices.

As for mowing issues, no matter where you plant them, unless they are
way inside his yard, you still can only get so close to them on your
side with a riding mower, leaving an uncut area.

If you really must do something, then I would try explaining to your
neighbor that you have the right to trim the trees where they extend
over the property line. Explain that with them two feet from the line
if they are trimed they will likely die because there would be
relatively little left of half the tree. Plus they will look like
hell on your side, but soundsl like he may not care about that. If
that doesn't work, then as a last resort, maybe a letter from your
lawyer explaing the above.
Old 28-04-2004, 05:06 AM
Frank K.

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
[...]

As I said in my original post, I planted a row of Leyland
Cypress at the rear of my property five years ago to form a
screen. I planted mine ten feet from the three property
lines so I will be able to mow between them and the lines.
His trees will eventually grow to meet mine, restricting my
mowing. I have one acre of property, so space is not the
issue. If he had a large oak or other shade tree crossing
the line, I would not have a problem with it. It's the low
level growth that bothers me. I don't impose on other
people's property and expect the same of them. I just don't
want someone to think they can use my property as theirs.

I did explain the situation to him and that if the trees are
trimmed to that extent they will probably die. My health
issues will put me in a position to hire someone to do the
trimming and hauling the trash. I don't feel that I should
be put in that position.

I'm feel I'm a good neighbor, helping my neighbors whenever
they need me. I have a fully equipped woodworking shop and a
welder and I gladly use them to help my neighbors without
charge.

Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Chet Hayes

The whole thing still makes little sense to me. Most people plant
privacy screens that are close to the property line and then just mow
up to their side of it, not both sides, with a wasted buffer strip on
the far side. It's also less work. The trees, while planted on one
sides property, often have branches that extend a reasonable distance
into the other party's property. This only seems fair, as both
parties are benefitting from the privacy screen, so to have it take up
some space from both sides is not unreasonable.

If I had your lot size with plenty of space, I'd be very happy with
the privacy screen your neighbor has provided. Legally, you can trim
it to your line, but I fail to see why anyone would want to do it.
BTW, how big is your neighbors yard compared to yours?
Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 PM
RoyDMercer

"Frank K." wrote in message

[...]

Frank,

No matter how good of a neighbor you are, there are always those who just
don't care about anyone else. This is why we have lawyers. You shouldn't
be inconvienienced by your neighbor's landscaping and it sounds as if this
will definitely happen. If you prune back your neighbor's trees to the
extent the trees die, you could possibly be liable for their replacement. I
still believe your neighbor should have to either take care of his trees
himself, or failing this you should be able to pay someone to do it at his
expense.

If you are unsure about what to do, I would suggest consulting with a
lawyer. I would suggest going to a real estate lawyer, because they would
be most likely to have experience in such matters and be most familiar with
property encroachment issues. A consultation and a letter on the lawyer's
letterhead (if needed) should only cost whatever the lawyer's hourly rate
is. Real Estate lawyers' hourly rates typically run about $75 per hour. A
letter from the lawyer to your neighbor explaining your intent to hold him
liable for whatever expenses his trees cost you would let him know how
serious you are about the issue and may in itself correct his behavior. In
the event you are forced to sue him in a couple of years, you will have
proof that you tried to resolve the issue with him very early on.

Old 28-04-2004, 05:13 PM
PopPop

On 28 Apr 2004 06:42:50 -0700, (Chet Hayes)
wrote:

The whole thing still makes little sense to me. Most people plant
privacy screens that are close to the property line and then just mow
up to their side of it, not both sides, with a wasted buffer strip on
the far side. It's also less work. The trees, while planted on one
sides property, often have branches that extend a reasonable distance
into the other party's property. This only seems fair, as both
parties are benefitting from the privacy screen, so to have it take up
some space from both sides is not unreasonable.

If I had your lot size with plenty of space, I'd be very happy with
the privacy screen your neighbor has provided. Legally, you can trim
it to your line, but I fail to see why anyone would want to do it.
BTW, how big is your neighbors yard compared to yours?

The basic fact is that there is a row of the same trees on the
original poster's (OP) property. The neighbor doesn't need his trees.
They are redundant. The trees on the OP's property will not cross the
line, leaving more of the neighbor's property avaolable to him.

Old 29-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Chet Hayes

After reading POPPOP's post, I now realize we're talking about a
double row of trees. I realized the OP had also planted rows of
trees, but I didn't realize that one row was along the same line as
the neighbor.

So, there is one line of trees 2 feet inside the neighbors property
and another 10 feet inside the OP's. I still don't see the problem.
Now you have a double row of trees only 12 feet apart forming a
privacy screen. These trees can grow to 60ft by 15ft. They will
overlap, forming one continuous privacy screen. Why would anyone want
or care about mowing between them, trimming etc.

Before I wasted money on lawyers, I'd do an internet search. It won't
be hard to find plenty of info that will validate the right to do
trimming over your airspace, but at your own cost.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Former Organ Donor

"Frank K." wrote in message

[...]

Some neighbors suck. It is the luck of the draw I suppose. I have a guy next
door that thinks about 4 feet into my property is his. He isn't going to be
happy when I put up that privacy fence. Maybe you can put up a privacy fence
on just that property line. Any ideas on what would happen to the trees if
this was done?

Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Frank K.

"Former Organ Donor" wrote in message

"Frank K." wrote in message

[...]

I have thought of a fence, but then again the victim has the
burden of protection against intruders. Some people that
have replied to the thread said that since I have more
property than the neighbor, that I should be willing to let
it go and that I will benefit from the trees. First, I have
a row of trees that are more than five years ahead of the
neighbor;s and they are the ones I will benefit from. His
are redundant. Second, as far as me having more property,
that's what I am paying for and I want FULL access to it,
even if only to mow it. I had a next door neighbor who
thought the property lines meant little and he used my
property to turn on when mowing his grass. If my grass was
longer than his, I wound up with a scalloped edge along that
line until I mowed it. Both of my next door neighbors and I
do not cross the lines when mowing and we don't even blow
the clippings on each others property. They are great
neighbors. I wish the one in back was the same.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:10 PM
RoyDMercer

"Frank K." wrote in message
[...]

That's one of the reasons why I'm glad I moved into a neighborhood with a
homeowner's association. We work out problems like yours within the
community.