Old 28-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Jo Cohen

Default Mice problem please help!

I have a brick ranch in New England (Connecticut) that I moved into in
September. About a month ago I discovered
mice in my kitchen, under the sink. Despite having a dog and an old
declawed indoor cat, the little cuties would venture into the living
room, etc.

Not wanting to kill them, I caught a few and set them free (I know,
bleeding heart liberal). Then I resorted to glue traps and caught a
couple more, but they died before i could free them. Then i got a
little plastic gray trap and released one, but another keeps moving it
without getting caught.

I am very chemically sensitive and would prefer NOT to use poison such
as D-CON. I've been told not to use it anyway, because the mice don't
always make it outside, and might die in the walls and smell. One of
them must have died already because for two weeks my kitchen smelled
TERRIBLE! I was unable to locate the thing.

Last night my cat actually caught and killed what appeared to be a
baby mouse, so I'm concerned they are breeding somewhere!

I bought one of those sonic-plug in devices for $45, that is supposed
to repel mice to 2000 sq. ft. My dad says his buddies at the ag
station say those devices don't work. What do people think about this?

Also, should I not worry about a little poison under the sink, and can
I be sure the mice will really seek water outside and not die in the
house? And what if a mouse eats the D-CON, then somehow my cat or dog
eat the mouse? Would it harm them?

PS- There are a few places outside where they might be coming in from,
including right under the back door to the porch! I can patch a couple
of holes....which i should have done by now

Thanks,

Joanne

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 28-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Lar

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:14:31 -0400, "Jo Cohen"
wrote:

I bought one of those sonic-plug in devices for $45, that is supposed
to repel mice to 2000 sq. ft. My dad says his buddies at the ag
station say those devices don't work. What do people think about this?

FTC has litigation against the manufacturers of such products.

http://www.spcbtx.org/news/sonic%20device.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/02/lentek.htm

Also, should I not worry about a little poison under the sink, and can
I be sure the mice will really seek water outside and not die in the
house? And what if a mouse eats the D-CON, then somehow my cat or dog
eat the mouse? Would it harm them?

The seeking water in an old exterminators tale, mice can live their
entire life without drinking water. I can't find the link that has a
breakdown on how much consumption would be needed for secondary
poisoning but you can email the tech dept at bell laboratories
http://belllabs.com/ and they can answer your questions.

PS- There are a few places outside where they might be coming in from,
including right under the back door to the porch! I can patch a couple
of holes....which i should have done by now

You probably need to address any hole 1/4 inch or larger and that
includes openings above your head, they can scale.

Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Old 29-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Peter H

"Jo Cohen" wrote in message
news
[...]

Glue boards will get 'em.

Peter H

Old 29-04-2004, 01:10 AM
GFRfan

Peter H wrote:
"Jo Cohen" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yeah. Heh heh heh. Make 'em die a slow horrible death. That's what the
little *******s deserve.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman