Old 29-04-2004, 12:15 AM
CW

Default high lawn pH -- that bad?

I tested my lawn soil and it came to about 8 which kind of surprised
me. I live up north (cleveland, OH), although I do not know what kind
of northern grass I have. What is the best way to lower the pH and
what is the best way to go about doing it? I was told that Ironite
(iron sulfate among other things) helps but am not sure how many
applications or over what period I should apply it.

Any help appreciated. My lawn does not look too g0od and I want to do
anything to spruce it up. I just dethatched and fertilized and want
to get this pH thing down.

Thanks,
CW
Old 29-04-2004, 04:26 AM
Steveo

CW wrote:
I tested my lawn soil and it came to about 8 which kind of surprised
me. I live up north (cleveland, OH), although I do not know what kind
of northern grass I have. What is the best way to lower the pH and
what is the best way to go about doing it? I was told that Ironite
(iron sulfate among other things) helps but am not sure how many
applications or over what period I should apply it.

Any help appreciated. My lawn does not look too g0od and I want to do
anything to spruce it up. I just dethatched and fertilized and want
to get this pH thing down.

Thanks,
CW

Are you sure it's 8 in Cleveland? hrm..you'll need sulfur to lower
your PH to between 6 and 7. Forget the iron, you'll end up putting way too
much down.

Very strange...you're not growing grass over some old limestone gravel
by any chance, are you?
Old 29-04-2004, 04:26 AM
RoyDMercer

"CW" wrote in message
I tested my lawn soil and it came to about 8 which kind of surprised
me. I live up north (cleveland, OH), although I do not know what kind
of northern grass I have. What is the best way to lower the pH and
what is the best way to go about doing it? I was told that Ironite
(iron sulfate among other things) helps but am not sure how many
applications or over what period I should apply it.

Any help appreciated. My lawn does not look too g0od and I want to do
anything to spruce it up. I just dethatched and fertilized and want
to get this pH thing down.

I have a high soil PH also (although not nearly as high as 8). 8 is
extremely high and I would question if this level is accurate, because if it
were you would have a hard time growing just about anything, including
grass. You'd know it if your PH was that high because when you applied
fertilizer, your grass wouldn't green up(assuming you had any grass to begin
with).

There's really very little you can do with soil that has a high PH. The
following website does offer some suggestions:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/lowerpH.html

Old 29-04-2004, 04:26 AM
CW

I really don't understand it either. I just bought the house last
year and the lawn is about 7 years old. I noticed that fertilizer
really didn't green things up the 3 times I put it down last year.
Part of the 8 may be my fault. My neighbor told me to put dolomite
lime down in the fall (after I commented how his grass was starting to
look better--he was a new home purchaser too) and I didn't bother to
ask why or know what it did. I only did one application so I'm sure I
didn't goof up that badly.

The grass is growing for sure but it does not seem very thick at all.
The blades are rather thin as well and for the lawn being only 7 years
old, I sure brought out a lot of thatch. I noticed a lot of moss
growing this spring that I didn't notice when I took ownership a year
ago, if that means anything.

Thanks for all the input.
CW

Old 29-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Steveo

CW wrote:
[...]

No problem, CW. If you see moss growing, I -really- suspect
your 8 ph reading.

Forget the sulfer. Try some milorganite, at label rate.

Good luck.