GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kohler 321c (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/60408-kohler-321c.html)

Steve 02-05-2004 05:07 PM

Kohler 321c

I have a 1983 Allis Chalmers 914H tractor that has been a trooper for years.
When mowing deep grass when the outside temp is hot the enging makes a
rapping noise and suddenly binds. It has done this for 2 years now and after
10 minutes cooling down she will fire up and run again like new. My Kohler
manual makes no mention of usage of synthetic oils. Would synthetic oil help
it run cooler?It sounds like the connecting rod is giving up on me. I want
to run it till it dies for good then replace the engine with a new short
block. I have always kept the mower serviced well. She is just an old horse.
I don't want a new one. What viscosity synthetic should I try if I do?
Outside temp when mowing is usually between 75 and 90 degrees.

Anonymous 03-05-2004 12:04 AM

Kohler 321c

I run Mobil 10W-40 Synthetic in mine, however from what you are
describing it sounds as though you have problems beyond which a change
of oil type will address. It's really not that much trouble to open up
the engine and replace the connecting rod. How long do you run between
oil changes?

Steve 03-05-2004 01:06 AM

Kohler 321c

Oil is changed twice per summer. It does not happen often, just when really
heading through deep grass. May only happen twice a summer but it is a
hellacious noise. Just thought synthetic might help it run cooler.

John Harlow 03-05-2004 03:05 AM

Kohler 321c

Steve wrote:
I have a 1983 Allis Chalmers 914H tractor that has been a trooper for
years. When mowing deep grass when the outside temp is hot the enging
makes a rapping noise and suddenly binds.

Make sure the cooling fins aren't blocked (maybe with grass?), the timing is
correct and the mixture is not too lean. These are among the things which
can cause overheating.

Anonymous 04-05-2004 05:08 AM

Kohler 321c

I'd say go for it with the synthetic Mobil 10W-40. You certainly
aren't going to hurt anything and at worst you are out a $3-$4 quart of
oil. Like the other poster said, make sure that you don't have any
blocked cooling fins around the cylinder head. Also make sure any
shrouding around the cylinder head that directs air flow is in place.
You can hose it down to clean any grass and crud out if it is not clean.
Then crank the engine and let it run to dry every thing out and get
the oil good and hot. Draining hot oil from a recently run engine is
more likely to get any junk that will tend to fall out of suspension
while the motor sits. I'd be really curious what your results are.
After you have done this drop us a line and let us know what happened.

BTW, sounds like you are changing the oil often enough, unless you are
cutting grass for a living. Two changes a year for a residential user
should be more than enough. Does your engine have a spin on oil filter?
I'd make sure I change that as well.

As I said, I'm curious to know what your results are.

Joe