Old 09-05-2004, 10:03 PM
King

Default French Curbs

I have a new home there is no driveway or grass yet but they are coming
soon. I was looking into getting French curbs and I seen homes with lights
running up the path within the cement and I thought it looked great. Does
anybody know how to do this or what kind of lights to use??? The ones I
saw were small round lights which looked kinda like pot lights flush within
the cement and gave off a glow at night.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:05 AM
edee em

Talk to the contractor who will put in the curbs for you. I'm sure they'll
know what to do to give you the desired effect. I've seen it done with
pavers but not concrete curbs.

able.rogers.com...

Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 AM
King

Well the thing is I have a friend who does sidewalks for the city and he
offered to put the French curbs in for me as a side job but he doesn't know
anything about the lights. to make a long story short if I want the lights
its gonnna be a project that I do myself.... there is no contractor
involved.

"edee em" wrote in message
Talk to the contractor who will put in the curbs for you. I'm sure

they'll
know what to do to give you the desired effect. I've seen it done with
pavers but not concrete curbs.

able.rogers.com...

Old 10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Childfree Scott

Exactly what is a "French Curb"?

Will it try to surrender to you every time you approach it?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM
RoyDMercer

"King" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I have a new home there is no driveway or grass yet but they are coming
soon. I was looking into getting French curbs and I seen homes with

lights
running up the path within the cement and I thought it looked great. Does
anybody know how to do this or what kind of lights to use??? The ones I
saw were small round lights which looked kinda like pot lights flush

within
the cement and gave off a glow at night.

I've been mulling over having those installed at my house also. Check out
this website: http://www.kwikkerb.org/kerblight.htm

Go to the 'Estimates and Quotes' link at the bottom of the page and fill it
out. They will put you in touch with a contractor in your area.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 PM
mi part time

I'd think maybe a solar light could give off the "glow" you are talking
about and would avoid the wiring and inspection step.

able.rogers.com...

Old 11-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:23:49 GMT, "King"
wrote:

I have a new home there is no driveway or grass yet but they are coming
soon. I was looking into getting French curbs and I seen homes with lights
running up the path within the cement and I thought it looked great. Does
anybody know how to do this or what kind of lights to use??? The ones I
saw were small round lights which looked kinda like pot lights flush within
the cement and gave off a glow at night.

Those are popular here, although small lights on the face of steps are
even more popular. As luck would have it, my neighbor has those and
I've watched the process. PVC conduit in the concrete, little wooden
light-sized box slipped into the forms capping the conduit. After the
concrete's poured and begun to set, the forms come off. When it's
set, the wire is snaked through the conduit and the lights are wired
and pushed into place, stuck with some sort of sealant.

I'm pretty sure the round lights go in the same way. The square solar
lights on pavers get set into a paver-sized recess pressed into the
concrete when it's poured, but they don't have wire.

Mary

Old 11-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Chuck Yerkes

A friend ripped off and idea from Epcot or Disney or something. Anyhow.
Pour concrete and push plastic fiber optic through. It should come FROM
one place (in the back), but the push through you do on the front it
where you do your pattern.

You cut the fiber near the top of the concrete and work it until it's
ready to cure.

When the concrete cures, you sand it down enough to re-expose the fiber
(they've likely been covered over by the cement). The final pass is
basically to polish it a bit. Apply light at the still ganged together
start of the fiber and you see it in the concrete.

so I know the process in my head, but didn't see it get done. I don't
know how he supported the fibers while it passed by rebar, etc.

It's a lot easier when you're pouring a liquid like epoxy or whatnot.
Stuff that settles to level on it's own without brooms to finish it.

Ponder. You're on your own with the idea and have all the detail I have.

Old 13-05-2004, 05:05 AM
King

I found a couple of places (just in case anybody was interested..... Just
what I wanted!!

http://www.in-lite.com

Old 13-05-2004, 02:03 PM
King

http://www.paveloc.com/pages/largeinlite1.html

This shows the idea I had in mind. Thanks for your help!!

.rogers.com...

Old 13-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Dave Houston

While the cost is probably prohibitive, there is an article in today's NYT
about a company in the UK that makes solar powered lights for lane markers,
etc.

http://www.astucia.co.uk/astucia_usa/

"King" wrote:

http://www.paveloc.com/pages/largeinlite1.html

This shows the idea I had in mind. Thanks for your help!!

e.rogers.com...

Old 25-05-2004, 04:12 PM
MS

"King" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
I have a new home there is no driveway or grass yet but they are coming
soon. I was looking into getting French curbs and I seen homes with lights
running up the path within the cement and I thought it looked great. Does
anybody know how to do this or what kind of lights to use??? The ones I
saw were small round lights which looked kinda like pot lights flush within
the cement and gave off a glow at night.

Please- they are now called "Freedom" Curbs.....
Old 25-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Robert L. Bass

I was looking into getting French curbs and I
seen homes with lights running up the path
within the cement and I thought it looked great.
Does anybody know how to do this or what
kind of lights to use??? The ones I saw were
small round lights which looked kinda like
pot lights flush within the cement and gave
off a glow at night.

All kidding aside, we've been looking into this same thing. There's a
franchise called Kwik Kerb http://www.kwikkerb.com. I've decided to hire
their local outfit to do curbing around the gardens in front of our house.
We're undecided about the lights though. For 120' of white cement curb they
want $400. For the same with lights it's $1,200. They look very nice but
for the $800 difference I could do some pretty nice landscape lighting in
the gardens instead.

Kwik Kerb has a machine that forms the curbing in place. They place a small
square protrusion on the stencil so it forms a groove in the curb as it's
laid down. After the cement cures they insert a series of low voltage
"light tubes" with tiny bulbs every few inches along their length. The
tubes are about 2' long with mating plugs at each end. The whole thing is
no more complex than a string of Christmas lights with a low voltage
transformer. It's held in place in the channel with a silicon like cement.

I'd have to guess that the markup on the lighting system is around 300% at a
minimum. If you go that route consider asking the contractor to just form
the channel. You should be able to buy the lights online and install them
yourself in an hour or two for a fraction of the cost.

Alarm and Home Automation System FAQ
http://www.bass-home.com/faq/masterfaq/faq.htm

Regards,
Robert