Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Lure Action Controller

Default A different way (to fix those flat mower tires

Well I finally got around to fixing all the leaks in my mower's tires,,
it took all four of them to get leaks before I would fix them, these
little battery powered air compressors are nice for blowing up lawn
mower tires

I finally remembered, last time I was at the store to pick up a tire
repair (plug) kit,, I took some bubble stuff the grand daughter had
here, and mixed up a 50/50 with water, and aired the tires up, to check
for the leaks,, none of these tires had rapid leaks, just ones that
would require blowing the tires up every two weeks or so. WEll I found
the three leaks in three tires, each had a pin hole in the threaded
portion,, then I come to one of the front tires,, no leaks in the thread
area,, but I noticed some dry rot cracks around the tire on the side
wall,, and sure enough 4 little leakers from those cracks.

Tube time, or time to buy a tire, neither idea sounded good to me, both
would require breaking down the tire, and the tube would keep me from
plugging any future holes.

Here is a different way to fix a flat, that I came up with

FIrst I jacked up that front wheel, then let all the air out of the
tire, then I pressed down with my hand to flatten the tire over the dry
rot, while still letting the air out, this opened up the cracks. I took
some Permatex Adhesive sealer and soothed out over the cracks, where the
crack was all the way through, the sealant was sucked into the hole
because the tire was trying to retain it's round shape (it had a slight
negative pressure inside as the rubber tries to go back in shape) After
filling the cracks in, I then Opened the valve to let it suck air into
the tire as it retained it's shape, this closed the cracks back up,
squirting out the excessive sealer, I smoothed out the sealer along the
side of the tire, then let this set for 24 hours (the front tire was
still off the ground, and it had zero or a slightly negative inside
pressure.

That was a month ago, still no leaks, I have since fixed two more new
punctures in another tire (these were just holes) using this sealer, and
a similar Procedure making a negative pressure before smearing the
sealer on the hole., then letting the air pressure go back to zero

I don't know if I was the first to come up with it, and I can see no way
to make money from it, but, it sure works for lawn mower tires and their
low pressure

You see I'm an inventor, so I'm always looking for a better way, see
some of my inventions on my web site
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig

Old 10-05-2004, 12:05 AM
GFRfan

Lure Action Controller wrote:
[...]

An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new. Any
puncture or leak is automatically sealed by the slime. I haven't had a
flat in 4 years.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman
Old 10-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Lure Action Controller

GFRfan wrote:

An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new. Any
puncture or leak is automatically sealed by the slime. I haven't had a
flat in 4 years.

It's better when you have it around, or can find it

Old 10-05-2004, 06:09 AM
John Harlow

An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
GFRfan

GFRfan wrote:

An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new. Any
puncture or leak is automatically sealed by the slime. I haven't had a
flat in 4 years.

It's better when you have it around, or can find it

All the Wal Marts carry it.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman

Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
GFRfan

John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Fix a flat is flammable and suitable only as a short term fix isn't it?

--
Yard and Garden Handyman
Old 10-05-2004, 03:08 PM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:18:02 GMT, GFRfan wrote:

John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Fix a flat is flammable and suitable only as a short term fix isn't it?

They changed their formula about a decade ago. Non-flamable gass is
now used.

tom

************************ Our Sites *************************************
http://www.CarFleaMarket.com - Auto Classifieds.
http://www.FindMeShelter.com - Post Free Text House Ads.
http://www.PeekABooLinks.com - Adults Only! Free Galleries.
http://www.VoyeurJunction.com - Adults Only! Free Galleries.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
John Harlow

GFRfan wrote:
John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Fix a flat is flammable and suitable only as a short term fix isn't
it?

I'd say any fix to dry rotted tires is a short term fix

Old 10-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Steveo

"John Harlow" wrote:
GFRfan wrote:
John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Fix a flat is flammable and suitable only as a short term fix isn't
it?

I'd say any fix to dry rotted tires is a short term fix

Yep, it ain't called fix a sidewall.

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old 13-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Rodney

John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

I have used fixaflat many times, and many times it failed, especially in
side wall leaks

Old 13-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Rodney

John Harlow wrote:

GFRfan wrote:

John Harlow wrote:

An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

Fix a flat is flammable and suitable only as a short term fix isn't
it?

I'd say any fix to dry rotted tires is a short term fix

I'm not sure this is the case with this one tire,, these dry rot cracks
were just on one side, and due to the tire being flat all winter,, they
may be more structural, than dry rot

I know this,, there is no signs that these cracks ever existed now in
the tire

Old 13-05-2004, 05:03 PM
CJ

Your machine shop is sure to curse your name if you ever have them go into a
fixaflat tire.

"damn you (your name here), this stuff stinks!"
cj

"Rodney" . wrote in message
John Harlow wrote:
An easier way is to add green slime sealer when they are new.

Or use that "fix-a-flat" stuff http://www.fixaflat.com/

I have used fixaflat many times, and many times it failed, especially in
side wall leaks
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Replacing Tires on Riding Mower Ulysses Lawns 10 15-12-2011 12:17 PM
Question about Dixon mower tires [email protected] Lawns 1 18-04-2004 12:03 PM
Riding Mower - Flat Tires Dave Lawns 5 17-02-2004 06:38 AM
Riding Mower - Flat Tires Dave Lawns 0 13-02-2004 03:18 PM
Damage from Lawn mower tires Tin Man Lawns 0 11-06-2003 01:08 PM