Old 15-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Timothy

Default Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:50:41 +0000, William W. Plummer wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:48:32 +0000, Steveo wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix

with
a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down
to get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to
18 inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I
smell

fish story ..? lol

It might be a pasture fescue, would you plant that in your lawn?

Tall Fescue was derived from a weed grass. You can find it in the Ortho
weed book.
Scotts has finally come out with a tall fescue, Rebel II is a label you'll
see, and I seem to recall a company named York having a product. You must
read the labels, looking for "tall fescue" only in the mix. Other
fescues won't help you.

Could you name one lawn type that didn't derive from a 'weed' grass? Just
because ortho claims it to be a weed doesn't make it true. What is a weed
anyway but an un-wanted plant? I would personaly suggest that anyone
planting grass should look for a mix of grasses. Tall fescue is not
perfect for all situations in the lawn.
All this talk a side, you still side step the real point of these posts.
You made a claim and have not provide evidence of your claim. I highly
doubt that there is a lawn type grass that will root to three feet.

Scotts Rebel II isn't a tall fescue, but a red fescue as far as I can
tell:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson2.html

Tall fescue description:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../tallfesc.html

Old 16-05-2004, 01:03 AM
William W. Plummer

"Steveo" wrote in message

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
[...]

You don't have to tell me what turf type tall fescue is. So I
ask you again..Do you have a link to this tall fescue with
2-3' roots?

Mind your manners, please.
Here is a quote from a http://www.paulparent.com . Paul's credentials
are on the home page of the site.

"The next seed to germinate will be Tall Fescue the seed that makes your
lawn look good all year long. This plant will produce a root system 3 to 4
feet deep into the ground to find water during dry periods and water bans.
Tall Fescue will need ..."

Old 16-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

Oh, so now it's 3 to 4 foot roots on tall fescue. Bullcrap.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old 17-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I Am Not George

Steveo wrote in message ...
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

FYI Mr. Plummer, if you disagree with steveo he will attempt to find
out your address and harass you. He has done this a number of times in
the rec.radio.cb NG even going so far as to go to peoples houses and
take pictures and post them on the internet without there permission.
He does all this while hiding his identity so they can not retaliate..
Old 17-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Steveo

(I Am Not George) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

He's right. Here's a pic of his wife. ::shudder::

http://www.geocities.com/picsrfun2003/untitled.bmp

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Old 17-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Steveo

WA3MOJ-George (I Am Not George) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

Hey WA3MOJ, why do you follow me around to different newsgroups like a lost
leg-humping puppy? Do you have a lawn or garden question? Or are you just
here to harass?

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old 17-05-2004, 01:08 AM
I Am Not George

Steveo wrote in message ...
Hey WA3MOJ, why do you follow me around to different newsgroups
like a lost leg-humping puppy? Do you have a lawn or garden
question? Or are you just here to harass?

i am here for the truth as mr. plummer found out you are a hothead and
a stalker who will harass people at there homes.
Old 17-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Landshark

Steveo wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

It must be nice to feel loved :P

Landshark

--
Treat people as if they were what
they ought to be and you will help

Old 17-05-2004, 03:15 AM
I Am Not George

Steveo wrote in message ...
(I Am Not George) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
Hey WA3MOJ, why do you follow me around to different newsgroups
like a lost leg-humping puppy? Do you have a lawn or garden
question? Or are you just here to harass?

i am here for the truth as mr. plummer found out you are a hothead

and
a stalker who will harass people at there homes.

Mr Plummer has no problem with me. I just want to see the turf-type
tall fescue that has 3-4 foot roots. Sounds good.

You on the other-hand are sick in the dome, and chase me around
Usenet in order to harass.

have i come to your home? have I posted your court records? have i
posted your work address and phone number? no, but YOU have done all
that to people and you havent even got the guts to come out of hiding
with your real name and address. you sir are the one harassing and you
have no excuse.

Old 17-05-2004, 05:20 PM
tmtresh

"Fisher Price" wrote in message

- Cover the ground with an opaque tarp for two weeks to kill the weeds
- bring in good topsoil, enough for 2-3 inches depth of coverage, 20%
oragnic for fast growth
- seed using high quality brand name seed, eg. Scot's

Will be much cheaper than sodding or hydroseeding, even if you use the
expensive topsoil. Using good soilk and seed, along with regular watering
91-2 times a day depending on how wet your weather is) should get you

grass
in under two weeks. I did it in July and had new grass in six days, but in
2-3 weeks it was much more mature and spread out.

I agree. If you have rocky soil, you wouldn't want to till amendments into
it for grass, just put topsoil/compost on top. Compost is usually more
expensive than topsoil, but many times topsoil doesn't have organic
matrerial. I would mix the two 50/50. Let the grass grow in good soil. To
stay away from chemicals, the tarp/black plastic method is advised.

Old 17-05-2004, 08:06 PM
FGreen

Thanks Timothy, and others, for responses. I'm learning.

I decided to use 'some' chemicals before redoing the lawn.
I feel like I missed the boat for seeding (in terms of timing), since
it's getting warm here in New England.

For sodding, can it be done in June, maybe even July and be ok?

Now, this is my plan of action
1. Rototill the existing lawn
2. Cover it up (~1000 ft^2) with tarp to kill the weeds (and whatever
else was growing with weeds) - ~2 weeks?
3. Put in some new top soil
4. Apply weed killer chemicals
5. Re-sod
6. Water
7. Water more

Step 1 can be done in a half day, 3,4,5 can be done in another day
after tarp comes off. Sound about right?

Timothy wrote in message ws.com...
On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:05:01 -0700, FGreen wrote:

mowing height depends - where there is grass, ~2-3", on bare spots, 0", on
dandelion spots, 8+"... ha... sorry for being a smartmouth. I try to
keep it high enough to block the weeds, but the situation has reversed
itself.

Good mowing hight....

We put fertilizers in the fall, once a year. We water infrequently in the
summer (to let it go dormant..?) aeration hasn't been done since it was
sodded (I know, a mistake) Yes, we use mulching mower.
We haven't been very deligent about keeping it up, I have to say.

I would tend to fertilize twice a year. I would use half in the spring and
half in the fall. It's good to boost the grass in the spring when the
nitrogen is low in the soil. Nitrogen is a non-fixed element that moves
with water. After the run off of winter, nitrogen is at it's lowest.

Yes, I have read that post from you before posting my question. It was
probably the closest to what I was looking for and most helpful post I
found in search. The only difference would be, we already have a lawn
(weed lawn). Do I till it up, or just put new soil on top? Do I need to
use chemicals to kill the existing weeds?

My situation is, we're planning on selling the place, and want to make the
lawn look good in short timeframe. Don't have the time to wait for seed
to germinate, etc., because I need to act quickly once . I don't want to
spend too much money, but then I don't want do a non-even-a-half-ass job
like the builder did, either.

With the short time frame, non-chemical requirements and price range,
your situation is a bit difficult. No matter how you spin it, sod isn't
cheap. If you were to do sod, you could just over lay the native soil
after letting a non-selective herbicide do it's work. You would be able to
spray and lay with in two weeks. While others rave over Round-up.. I
personaly won't touch the stuff. It's a rather toxic chemical and there's
lots of proof via the net for those who wish to look for it. I use Finale
(product name) or any product with glufosinate ammonium as the main active
ingredient. Here's the spec sheet on it:
http://www.horizononline.com/msds_sh...f/finale25.pdf
Page 8 and onward you'll find the toxic's report. Looks rather good to me
and the enviroment and that's why I use it in my business.

Is it ok to till up the existing lawn, add some soil, till up some more,
and lay down the sod, without adding any weed killers? Again, there's
quite a bit of weeds, but I'm trying not to use chemicals if at all
possible.

My lawn is ~1000-1100 sq.ft, by the way.

So here are your options... (imho)
1 herbicide the lawn and re-sod it. Possibly add new top soil before hand.
This will cost the most. Up to $200.00 for dirt (10 yards), $20.00 for
fertilizer, $20.00 for herbicide, $20.00 for a sprayer (if needed), Roller
rental $?.00 and sod $???.00 (price varies)

2 all of above but seed instead of sod. Perennial rye generaly sprouts
faster (1 week), but is not as nice (imho). Tall Fescue takes longer (2/3
weeks) and is a bit nicer. 2 weeks for spray and 2or 3 weeks for seed.
First mowing in 6 weeks and looks great in 8 weeks 80)

3 least favorite would be to lay weed & feed and re-seed in 3 weeks. Your
milage may vary.

Any way you look at it, there really isn't too many ways to get things
done in under two weeks. 6 weeks is a bit more workable

Old 17-05-2004, 09:18 PM
tmtresh

Now, this is my plan of action
1. Rototill the existing lawn
2. Cover it up (~1000 ft^2) with tarp to kill the weeds (and whatever
else was growing with weeds) - ~2 weeks?
3. Put in some new top soil
4. Apply weed killer chemicals
5. Re-sod
6. Water
7. Water more

If you are going to put topsoil on top, there is no need to rototill. Save
yourself some work, and just cover the grass/weeds up with a tarp. Also, the
topsoil shouldn't have any weed seeds, and even if it does, the sod should
suffiently cover them up so they won't germinate. There shouldn't be any
reason to use chemical weedkillers. If you're worried about weeds sprouting
in the edges of the strips of sod, just use corn gluten meal (found at a
local feed store) to inhibit seed germination.

Old 18-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Steveo

"tmtresh" wrote:
Now, this is my plan of action
1. Rototill the existing lawn
2. Cover it up (~1000 ft^2) with tarp to kill the weeds (and whatever
else was growing with weeds) - ~2 weeks?
3. Put in some new top soil
4. Apply weed killer chemicals
5. Re-sod
6. Water
7. Water more

If you are going to put topsoil on top, there is no need to rototill.
Save yourself some work, and just cover the grass/weeds up with a tarp.
Also, the topsoil shouldn't have any weed seeds,

Good luck finding sterilized top soil, except maybe in bags.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old 18-05-2004, 12:08 AM
I Am Not George

Steveo wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
[...]

OK lets take a look at gay Mark becks proven history as a user of
transexual prositutes shall we.........

Here's a post to rec.radio.cb in July of 1999. Some of you may
remember it. Landshark posted quite regularly to the group. Just do a
search at Google and you will find lots. There's no doubt it is the
same "Landshark" we all know and love. Here's just one example

From: s3sharkman )
Where are all the big boxes?
Newsgroups: rec.radio.cb
Date: 1999/07/16

Well dana my man (or woman) I know the every mighty
F.C.C. won't mess with me. I've been running power
since the early 70's, and never had any problem.
Plus it's gonna be kinda hard to figure which house
it is, considering that my 3 immediate neighbors all
have antennas.
My original post really had nothing to do with
the general population, it was about guys like
Dennis, Sean, Toll-free, Painkiller, etc., etc.,
Hell even the Professor doesn't come out
anymore to throw in his one liners.
I just hope that all the wanna-be lawyers die
the death of brain cancer or some slow debilitating
disease.

s3sharkman

dana wrote:

when the fcc gets you, you wont be saying that.

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:42:21 -0700
From: the sharkman
Newsgroups: rec.radio.cb
Subject: Where are all the big boxes?

What happen out here, I mean don't give
me all this legal crap has scared everyone.
Christ all mighty, nothing but a bunch
of whining "your running illegal power"
dickheads hear now. At least in the old days
everyone knew they we running illegal power,
but all these whiners crying about it really
sucks little old mark fuller dog dicks.
You' all should wake up and smell the burning
flux, because pretty soon there will be nothing
here but a bunch of fag boys doing fox hunts and
turning in their neighbors that they feel are
running more than legal.

the shark man

OK, and here's just THREE of his posts to bisexual, bondage,
transgender, you-name-it newsgroups he made in 1999.
Same address. Same person. For more, do a search on Google.

From: The Sharkman )
Subject: 510/650/408/415 Wanna know?
Newsgroups: alt.personals.transgendered
Date: 1999/03/07

I wanna know, are there any T girls that
like to see "Bear Type" guys....... I have been
with a few, but more than often, "You're nice but
just not what I'm looking for" type.

The Sharkman

From: THE LANDSHARK )
Subject: Looking for good looking TV/TS for hire
Newsgroups: alt.personals.transgendered
Date: 1999/03/03

Hi Dominique, all I can say is she is well
worth it. So if you want to have a real
good time, drop her a note and prepare for
the fun too begin.

The Sharkman

From: )
Subject: Northern Calif.
Newsgroups: alt.personals.transgendered
Date: 1998/11/12

I'm heading up around Susanville Sat, anyone around there????

Google*Home - Advertising*Programs - Business*Solutions - About
Google©2004 Google

Redoing the lawn Carlo Lawns 0 21-04-2007 03:47 PM
Help! Suggestions/advice please for installing posts for yard fence in rocky ground? Ken Moiarty Lawns 10 05-05-2006 02:55 AM