Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 PM
FGreen

Default Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground)

My lawn is ~6 years old, was new when I bought the place. It looked
pretty good initially, but later I realized that the ground where the
sod was placed didn't have good soil at all. Pretty rocky, and had a
heck of time planting a small tree (which looks sickly and isn't
blooming much flowers at all).

The lawn now has a lot of dandelions, I mean, a lot. I used one of
those extraction tools from Home Depot. It does a decent job, but the
roots are rarely taken out completely, and there are just too many.
Too many to even use weed-b-gone selectively.

So, I'm thinking of redoing the lawn, probably in the fall, and need
your help. I'm thinking I need to
- Till up the ground
- Kill the existing dandelions/weeds with...?
- Put in good soil
- Put in new grass (hydroseed? sod?)
(I know I need to do more studying on it, but need to discuss it with
a neighbor that shares the lawn in this 2-family home, so basics would
be sufficient for now.)

My questions are...
- What tools do I need, if I do it myself? I only have basic
gardening tools. Rent a rototiller?
- Is there a way to get rid of existing weeds without using chemicals,
once the lawn is dug up? Cover it up to choke it? We've got dogs and
young children.
- If not, how long would it take for it to be 'safe' for dogs and
children? It'd still be a dug up ground, but you know how kids are...
they love dirt!
- Would I be better off hiring someone? (I know that's a very
subjective question...)

I'm in New England and the lawn get a lot of sun. I don't think I'd
need the soil analyzed, since whatever is there is just almost rocks,
and I'd be putting in new soil.

I'd appreciate any help.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Peter H

"FGreen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You go crazy and put in a new lawn, but I'd try just spraying the weeds and
fertilizing first. If you're worried about the spray hire someone and have
everyone stay off the lawn for a couple of days.

Peter H

Old 13-05-2004, 05:11 AM
FGreen

"Peter H" wrote in message ers.com...
"FGreen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for your response. Either I wasn't clear or you only noticed
the subject and a few lines of description, but we're trying to stay
as much away from chemicals as possible. It involves the neighbors,
so I don't have complete say in the matter. Of course your idea was
considered at first, but is a no-go at this point, until we understand
all other options.

So, back to my original questions - if you or anyone else can help,
that'd be much appreciated.
Old 13-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:03:43 -0700, FGreen wrote:

[...]

Good day FGreen. Sorry to hear about your poor quailty lawn. It can be a
real bummer to have a weed patch instead of a lawn. Before we get too far,
I have some questions:
What is the mowing hight of the lawn? 1", 2", 3"..?
What have you done in the past 6 years as far as fertilizer?
Do you water the lawn in the summer?
Do you let the lawn go dormant in the summer?
Have you ever aerated your lawn?
Do you re-cycle your lawn clippings (multching mow)?

On to fixing the lawn..........
If the soil quality is poor, then I would start by trying to correct that
first. You can compensate for poor soil quailty by using fertilizers and
multch mowing. Over time (possibily a long time) the soil quality wil get
better. If the organic matter (humus) is very low, it would be best to add
new soil / compost. If you find this is the case, then you could overlay
the lawn with compost and till it. Look at my post to FardinA on 5/8/2004
at 6:54 pm. I goes through the refurbishing of a lawn with costs and tool
requirements.

There is no need to hire out for this type of a job. The average home
owner can do this, although the amount of labor required may be too much
for some. If the lawn is somewhat large (1500+ square feet) then you would
want to rent a tractor for the day. Rent one with a bucket on the front
and a tiller on the back. This can cost up to $300.00 a day, but it's
worth every penny. You can till the whole area in a few hours and the
bucket will make the huge pile of dirt spread a lot faster 80) .
I personaly would re-seed the lawn with locally available seed. This means
seed for your area. Beware of name brand seed from big box stores. Just
because they sell brand X seed at home depo doesn't mean it's correct for
your area.

More question etc... just add to this thread.

Old 14-05-2004, 06:07 AM
FGreen

Timothy, thanks for the response.

Good day FGreen. Sorry to hear about your poor quailty lawn. It can be a
real bummer to have a weed patch instead of a lawn. Before we get too far,
I have some questions:
What is the mowing hight of the lawn? 1", 2", 3"..?
What have you done in the past 6 years as far as fertilizer?
Do you water the lawn in the summer?
Do you let the lawn go dormant in the summer?
Have you ever aerated your lawn?
Do you re-cycle your lawn clippings (multching mow)?

mowing height depends - where there is grass, ~2-3", on bare spots,
0", on dandelion spots, 8+"... ha... sorry for being a smartmouth. I
try to keep it high enough to block the weeds, but the situation has
reversed itself.
We put fertilizers in the fall, once a year.
We water infrequently in the summer (to let it go dormant..?)
aeration hasn't been done since it was sodded (I know, a mistake)
Yes, we use mulching mower.
We haven't been very deligent about keeping it up, I have to say.

On to fixing the lawn..........
If the soil quality is poor, then I would start by trying to correct that
first. You can compensate for poor soil quailty by using fertilizers and
multch mowing. Over time (possibily a long time) the soil quality wil get
better. If the organic matter (humus) is very low, it would be best to add
new soil / compost. If you find this is the case, then you could overlay
the lawn with compost and till it. Look at my post to FardinA on 5/8/2004
at 6:54 pm. I goes through the refurbishing of a lawn with costs and tool
requirements.

Yes, I have read that post from you before posting my question. It
was probably the closest to what I was looking for and most helpful
post I found in search. The only difference would be, we already have
a lawn (weed lawn). Do I till it up, or just put new soil on top?
Do I need to use chemicals to kill the existing weeds?

My situation is, we're planning on selling the place, and want to make
the lawn look good in short timeframe. Don't have the time to wait
for seed to germinate, etc., because I need to act quickly once . I
don't want to spend too much money, but then I don't want do a
non-even-a-half-ass job like the builder did, either.

Is it ok to till up the existing lawn, add some soil, till up some
more, and lay down the sod, without adding any weed killers? Again,
there's quite a bit of weeds, but I'm trying not to use chemicals if
at all possible.

My lawn is ~1000-1100 sq.ft, by the way.

There is no need to hire out for this type of a job. The average home
owner can do this, although the amount of labor required may be too much
for some. If the lawn is somewhat large (1500+ square feet) then you would
want to rent a tractor for the day. Rent one with a bucket on the front
and a tiller on the back. This can cost up to $300.00 a day, but it's
worth every penny. You can till the whole area in a few hours and the
bucket will make the huge pile of dirt spread a lot faster 80) .
I personaly would re-seed the lawn with locally available seed. This means
seed for your area. Beware of name brand seed from big box stores. Just
because they sell brand X seed at home depo doesn't mean it's correct for
your area.

More question etc... just add to this thread.

Posting this very late, so I might have left some questions out... I
really appreciate your help.

Old 14-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Chet Hayes

The first thing I would do is figure out what kind of soil you have,
beyond the fact that it is rocky. Grass won't grow on rocks. If you
have some half way decent soil with rocks mixed in, you can till and
remove the rocks, especially since you only have 1000 sq ft to worry
about. You can also till in some humus type material, or additional
good topsoil. You should also have the soil tested to establish the
correct PH.

On the other hand, if what you have is mostly rocks and gravel, then
you need at least 6 inchs of decent top soil, preferably 9 inchs.
Whether this can go on top of what is there becomes a grading issue.
If it can't then you need to have what's there removed.

If you wind up tilling what is there, I would use Roundup to kill all
the existing plants. Roundup is one of the safested chemicals and you
can reseed a week after application. Since you're in a hurry, you're
going to have to go with sod.
Old 14-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Fisher Price

- Cover the ground with an opaque tarp for two weeks to kill the weeds
- bring in good topsoil, enough for 2-3 inches depth of coverage, 20%
oragnic for fast growth
- seed using high quality brand name seed, eg. Scot's

Will be much cheaper than sodding or hydroseeding, even if you use the
expensive topsoil. Using good soilk and seed, along with regular watering
91-2 times a day depending on how wet your weather is) should get you grass
in under two weeks. I did it in July and had new grass in six days, but in
2-3 weeks it was much more mature and spread out.

om...

Old 14-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Fisher Price

Well, if you're looking for a short term fix to sell the house, I'd probably
patch it with top soil and lawn patch mix, the stuff that is seed + mulch +
fertilizer in one, and water it a lot. Can't guarantee any short term fix
though, good results will take some time.

Or you could just spray paint everything green!

om...

Old 15-05-2004, 02:09 AM
William W. Plummer

Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass")
Good fix: any mix with a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends
roots 2-3' down to get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

"Fisher Price" wrote in message

- Cover the ground with an opaque tarp for two weeks to kill the weeds
- bring in good topsoil, enough for 2-3 inches depth of coverage, 20%
oragnic for fast growth
- seed using high quality brand name seed, eg. Scot's

Will be much cheaper than sodding or hydroseeding, even if you use the
expensive topsoil. Using good soilk and seed, along with regular watering
91-2 times a day depending on how wet your weather is) should get you

grass
in under two weeks. I did it in July and had new grass in six days, but in
2-3 weeks it was much more mature and spread out.

om...

Old 15-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass")
Good fix: any mix with a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends
roots 2-3' down to get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.

Old 15-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Timothy

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:05:01 -0700, FGreen wrote:

mowing height depends - where there is grass, ~2-3", on bare spots, 0", on
dandelion spots, 8+"... ha... sorry for being a smartmouth. I try to
keep it high enough to block the weeds, but the situation has reversed
itself.

Good mowing hight....

We put fertilizers in the fall, once a year. We water infrequently in the
summer (to let it go dormant..?) aeration hasn't been done since it was
sodded (I know, a mistake) Yes, we use mulching mower.
We haven't been very deligent about keeping it up, I have to say.

I would tend to fertilize twice a year. I would use half in the spring and
half in the fall. It's good to boost the grass in the spring when the
nitrogen is low in the soil. Nitrogen is a non-fixed element that moves
with water. After the run off of winter, nitrogen is at it's lowest.

Yes, I have read that post from you before posting my question. It was
probably the closest to what I was looking for and most helpful post I
found in search. The only difference would be, we already have a lawn
(weed lawn). Do I till it up, or just put new soil on top? Do I need to
use chemicals to kill the existing weeds?

My situation is, we're planning on selling the place, and want to make the
lawn look good in short timeframe. Don't have the time to wait for seed
to germinate, etc., because I need to act quickly once . I don't want to
spend too much money, but then I don't want do a non-even-a-half-ass job
like the builder did, either.

With the short time frame, non-chemical requirements and price range,
your situation is a bit difficult. No matter how you spin it, sod isn't
cheap. If you were to do sod, you could just over lay the native soil
after letting a non-selective herbicide do it's work. You would be able to
spray and lay with in two weeks. While others rave over Round-up.. I
personaly won't touch the stuff. It's a rather toxic chemical and there's
lots of proof via the net for those who wish to look for it. I use Finale
(product name) or any product with glufosinate ammonium as the main active
ingredient. Here's the spec sheet on it:
http://www.horizononline.com/msds_sh...f/finale25.pdf
Page 8 and onward you'll find the toxic's report. Looks rather good to me
and the enviroment and that's why I use it in my business.

Is it ok to till up the existing lawn, add some soil, till up some more,
and lay down the sod, without adding any weed killers? Again, there's
quite a bit of weeds, but I'm trying not to use chemicals if at all
possible.

My lawn is ~1000-1100 sq.ft, by the way.

So here are your options... (imho)
1 herbicide the lawn and re-sod it. Possibly add new top soil before hand.
This will cost the most. Up to $200.00 for dirt (10 yards), $20.00 for
fertilizer, $20.00 for herbicide, $20.00 for a sprayer (if needed), Roller
rental $?.00 and sod $???.00 (price varies)

2 all of above but seed instead of sod. Perennial rye generaly sprouts
faster (1 week), but is not as nice (imho). Tall Fescue takes longer (2/3
weeks) and is a bit nicer. 2 weeks for spray and 2or 3 weeks for seed.
First mowing in 6 weeks and looks great in 8 weeks 80)

3 least favorite would be to lay weed & feed and re-seed in 3 weeks. Your
milage may vary.

Any way you look at it, there really isn't too many ways to get things
done in under two weeks. 6 weeks is a bit more workable
Old 15-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Timothy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:48:32 +0000, Steveo wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix with a
high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down to get
water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to 18
inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I smell a
fish story ..? lol

Old 15-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix with
a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down to
get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to 18
inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I smell a
fish story ..? lol

It might be a pasture fescue, would you plant that in
your lawn?

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
William W. Plummer

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix

with
a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down to
get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to 18
inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I smell

fish story ..? lol

It might be a pasture fescue, would you plant that in
your lawn?

Tall Fescue was derived from a weed grass. You can find it in the Ortho
weed book.
Scotts has finally come out with a tall fescue, Rebel II is a label you'll
see, and I seem to recall a company named York having a product. You must
read the labels, looking for "tall fescue" only in the mix. Other fescues
won't help you.

Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
[...]

You don't have to tell me what turf type tall fescue is. So I
ask you again..Do you have a link to this tall fescue with
2-3' roots?

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Redoing the lawn Carlo Lawns 0 21-04-2007 03:47 PM
Help! Suggestions/advice please for installing posts for yard fence in rocky ground? Ken Moiarty Lawns 10 05-05-2006 02:55 AM