Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Shooter Dude

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
gord

you can get the auto bump which automatically feed the line causing you
much less grief

Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Doug Kanter

Don't they make trimmers which use some sort of chain, or am I imagining
having seen them?

om...

Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
SQLit

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

Try getting larger diameter string. I use one size bigger in mine and it
lasts a lot longer.

Old 13-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Toller

I replaced my bump thingy with one that has relatively thick plastic arms.
Works fine.

Old 14-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Roy

Don;t tink I would want to use that type around trees and fences and
foundation walls........but yes they make a head that utilizes a
section of chainsaw chain.

I made my own fixed line push type string trimmer, powered by a 6 1/2
hp engine. I use .105" line and previously I used .080" line on it,
and got a lot more wear and usage thanyou are. It may help to buy a
top quality line, instead of some off market brands such as is sold by
mass marketers that peddle stuff in HOme Depot etc. The line Stihl and
Husky makes is pretty darn good, and even in my hand held trimmer I
get lots of mileage from it. I forget what brand it is offhand, but
its a silver color and has the word titanium in it, but no this line
doesnot have real titanium in it, its a catchall for getting your eye,
but it is some pretty darn good line.

So try changing brands.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:50:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

===Don't they make trimmers which use some sort of chain, or am I imagining
===having seen them?
===
==="Shooter Dude" wrote in message
ogle.com...
=== I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
=== 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
=== (mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
=== usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
=== obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
=== 20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.
===
=== I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
=== heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
=== better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
=== gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
=== of it.
===
=== Thanks for any tips!
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 14-05-2004, 12:20 AM
George

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

You might want to try a better quality line than you got at home cheepo.

Old 14-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I-zheet M'drurz

George wrote:
"Shooter Dude" wrote in message

Thanks for any tips!

You might want to try a better quality line than you got at home
cheepo.

Bullshit. You obviously have some kind of hard-on for The Home
Depot, now tell us about your PhD in Synthetic Polymer Chmistry.

--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

Old 14-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I-zheet M'drurz

wayne wrote:

I used thin aircraft cable worked pretty good!

There ya go! F*#k that wood fence!

Old 14-05-2004, 02:05 AM
len gardener

g'day shooter dude,

my brushcutter has a manual feed head, less parts to wear (on it's
second brushcutter now) plus i have better control over line economy.
there is a bit of an art to using nylon line no matter what the
machine, maybe take it a little easier and learn to work the tip of
the nylon, you can still trim grass away from concrete etc.,. and get
quiet quick and good at it just takes a bit of patience and practise.

i tried heavier line in mine at one stage thinking it would help with
heavier work but about all it did was make more work for the motor,
the motor needing to use more torque to spin up the line, it was only
the next size up line, but reckon i do heaps better with the right
size or slightly under size as the machine can spin it up easier and
hold its torque, just needed to back off on the grass load got the job
done probably not much slower. don't know about using chain? but
reckon ther could be all sorts of other problems there.

best thing if you want to be economical on line is to get a manual
head and learn the art of using the the line tip to you benefit.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 14-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

I tried a couple of type of replacements like plastic blades and nothing I
tried held-up so I went back to string.

Old 14-05-2004, 04:03 AM
RoyDMercer

"len gardener" wrote in message
[...]

This is correct. You have to match the line size to the motor. When you
have a bigger motor you can run larger line which prevents having to feed
continuously. I run line size .095 which is recommended for my trimmer. I
only have to feed once or twice for my entire lawn.