Old 15-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Bob

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer(Homelite comment)

"Tom Miller" wrote in message :

| First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos

like
| Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
|
| Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the

crank
| shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even

the
| 200 hours for which they are rated.

[snip]

Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite
trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of
spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started
it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull,
as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small
Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not
use it frequently.

Right, Nothing wrong with Homelite if you have a small yard and use it
lightly. Just not well designed - poorly constructed - and not made for
real work.

Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).

Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
minutes.

I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
would be to replace them.

Bob

Old 15-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Roy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:19:35 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

===
==="Tom Miller" wrote in message :
===
=== | First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos
===like
=== | Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
=== |
[...]

With all those strikes against it already why even buy or have such a
peice of poorly designed junk in the first place!
===
===Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
===rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
===Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).

Just spend about double the charge for this service and buy a new one,
which is what most folks do to day anyhow, thats why I can pick up
this kind of junk from dumpsters and curbside trash just about every
day. I melt down the aluminum etc.
===
===Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
===Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
===with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
===minutes.

Don't find anywhere near as many Echo,.,Stilh, Husky and other top
grade stuff as I fo Poulan. McCullough, Homelite and Weedeater junk!
===
===I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
===look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
===would be to replace them.

On some of those el cheapo models of trimmers and chainsaws its
virtually a real PITA to remove even a carb without 90% of everything
else also having to come apart in the process, and its in those hard
to access areas is where most of the problems occur, such as a leaking
carb mount gasket etc etc........Typical of **** poor design without
the aspect of serviceability in mind during the design, as odds are
service was never really intended due to the cheapness of these units.
===
===Bob
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 15-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Tom Miller

On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:54:33 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

| On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:19:35 GMT, "Bob"
| wrote:
|
| ===
| ==="Tom Miller" wrote in message :
| ===
| === | First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos
| ===like
| === | Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
| === |
| === | Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the
| ===crank
| === | shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even
| ===the
| === | 200 hours for which they are rated.
| ===
| === [snip]
| ===
| === Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite
| === trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of
| === spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started
| === it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull,
| === as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small
| === Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not
| === use it frequently.
| ===
| ===
| ===Right, Nothing wrong with Homelite if you have a small yard and use it
| ===lightly. Just not well designed - poorly constructed - and not made for
| ===real work.
|
| With all those strikes against it already why even buy or have such a
| peice of poorly designed junk in the first place!
| ===
| ===Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
| ===rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
| ===Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).
|
| Just spend about double the charge for this service and buy a new one,
| which is what most folks do to day anyhow, thats why I can pick up
| this kind of junk from dumpsters and curbside trash just about every
| day. I melt down the aluminum etc.
| ===
| ===Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
| ===Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
| ===with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
| ===minutes.
|
| Don't find anywhere near as many Echo,.,Stilh, Husky and other top
| grade stuff as I fo Poulan. McCullough, Homelite and Weedeater junk!
| ===
| ===I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
| ===look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
| ===would be to replace them.
|
| On some of those el cheapo models of trimmers and chainsaws its
| virtually a real PITA to remove even a carb without 90% of everything
| else also having to come apart in the process, and its in those hard
| to access areas is where most of the problems occur, such as a leaking
| carb mount gasket etc etc........Typical of **** poor design without
| the aspect of serviceability in mind during the design, as odds are
| service was never really intended due to the cheapness of these units.
| ===
| ===Bob

The point is, boys, that I have had to do NONE of those things in 20
years. So it really doesn't matter how hard or easy it is to repair
because it has not needed a single repair, not by me or by my local
"charge-'em-up" repair shop ($30 for a repair? Dream on!). After 20
years, it owes me nothing. I'm sure an Echo is a better machine, but
how good a trimmer does a typical homeowner really need? Didn't sound
to me like the OP is in the lawncare business.

I buy good machines for jobs that require durable equipment, and
trimming is not one of those situations. The key thing for me is that
the trimmer starts reliably. Sometimes it really doesn't make sense to
buy a Mercedes when you are just driving to the supermarket.