Old 15-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Chris Chandler

Default Filbert tree dying?

Greetings!

I have two clusters of filbert trees in my yard and both clusters have done
very well in the past. This year, the one cluster of trees doesn't have any
foliage or blooms on it and is completely bare. The bark around the base of
this tree is peeling off in layers and has white spots under the peeling
bark.

Any suggestions on what this might be? Can I save this tree or should I cut
it down before it infects the remaining trees? I live in central Ontario.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 15-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Timothy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:04:52 -0400, Chris Chandler wrote:

Greetings!

I have two clusters of filbert trees in my yard and both clusters have
done very well in the past. This year, the one cluster of trees doesn't
have any foliage or blooms on it and is completely bare. The bark around
the base of this tree is peeling off in layers and has white spots under
the peeling bark.

Any suggestions on what this might be? Can I save this tree or should I
cut
it down before it infects the remaining trees? I live in central Ontario.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't claim to know much about filberts, but here's a link I found:

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/treeshrub/hazelnut.htm
There maybe a discription of your problem there somewhere. Let us know
what you found 80)

Old 16-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Chris Chandler

Thanks for the link! Lots of good info there, but nothing that resembles my
dilemma. I'm thinking about posting a picture of the diseased part of the
tree in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

s.com...

Old 16-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Chris Chandler

Actually, after a closer inspection of the tree, that link you gave me DOES
show similarities of the Eastern Filbert Blight disease! Thanks!!

"Chris Chandler" wrote in message
Thanks for the link! Lots of good info there, but nothing that resembles

my
dilemma. I'm thinking about posting a picture of the diseased part of the
tree in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

s.com...

Filbert Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 6 26-11-2005 08:30 PM
Contorted filbert Richard Evans North Carolina 3 20-09-2005 06:40 PM
Filbert Hazel United Kingdom 3 08-08-2005 09:30 PM
Filbert Chris United Kingdom 3 26-05-2004 06:23 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM