Old 18-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Greg

Default Mower Engine Problem(s)

I have a 2 years, 2 months old Briggs and Stratton 14hp engine on a
Troy-Bilt 42" chassis. It just ran out of warranty 2 months ago. When
I first got the mower it would backfire every now and then. Last
summer it would blow a puff of smoke when I started the engine.

Today, the engine would rev very high until I engaged the blades, then
it would resume normal rev speed. I checked a few things, and noticed
a rubber hose that attached to the carb from the engine had came lose
from the carb. I placed it back on, added oil (as I always do when
it's needed), and mowed the grass. When I finished, I turned the mower
off and restarted to see if the high revs woul dhappen again. When I
did, a large amount of oil blew out the rubber hose I had reconnected.

I'm afraid this may not be good news. This engine has been well cared
for - regular oil and filter changes, etc. I had a similar problem
with another B&G engine a few years ago. I will not be buying another
mower with a Briggs engine mounted in it.

Anyhow, obviously, I need to fix this 2 year old mower. Before I tear
down the engine, anyone want to suggest the problem based on the
symptoms? Thanks.
Old 18-05-2004, 08:17 PM
mudpiemaker42

on the old briggs motors the hose that went to the carb. was a crankcase
breather [a valve that let vapor or pressure out of the crankcase] it could
go bad and let oil blow into the carb. this may be the same thing on the
newer motors
"Steveo" wrote in message
(Greg) wrote:
[...]

Does the oil smell like gas?

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Old 19-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Steveo

(Greg) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
(Greg) wrote:
[...]

Yes, a little, but doesn't most used oil have a gas smell? What's you
analysis if it does have a gas smell?

It might be the carb.

http://www.small-engines.com/gasleak.html

--
And it's twice as hard on my stride
When I take a day and let it ride. - Paul Cotton.

Old 24-05-2004, 12:08 AM
gerald whitaker

It sounds like there is too much oil in it. Check it or drain the sump and
refill with the proper amount.
om...

Old 27-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Greg

(Greg) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Well, the service guy looked at this engine. The cause of failure was
due to a ventilation hose detaching and sucking dirt/dust into the
engine. The hose, apparently, connects to the engine from the carb.
Briggs agreed to replace the full engine, even though it is 2 months
out of warranty. Thank you B&S.

The service guy wants $360 to do the work, plus filters, plug, and
oil. Does that seem like a reasonable rate? He says he is going by the
B&S labor rate guide.
Old 29-05-2004, 03:17 AM
Chip Stein

Well, the service guy looked at this engine. The cause of failure was
due to a ventilation hose detaching and sucking dirt/dust into the
engine. The hose, apparently, connects to the engine from the carb.
Briggs agreed to replace the full engine, even though it is 2 months
out of warranty. Thank you B&S.

The service guy wants $360 to do the work, plus filters, plug, and
oil. Does that seem like a reasonable rate? He says he is going by the
B&S labor rate guide.

that's a shortblock not a complete engine. and if it's sucked up
enough dirt the throttle shaft will be worn in the carb. tell them
you want briggs to cover a new carb also. it will be trouble down the
road if they don't.
i managed a small engine shop for several years and have seen it
before.
Chip
Old 29-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Greg

(Greg) wrote in message . com...
(Greg) wrote in message . com...
[...]

He told me that it was a long block (complete engine) less the fly wheel.
Old 17-06-2004, 10:56 AM
caj caj is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
(Greg) wrote in message . com...
(Greg) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Sorry to butt in, but I have just received a used B&S mower with a backfire on shutoff. Were you able to get an answer to the problem of the backfire, or is this standard?

The engine runs fine, but everytime I shut it off, there is a good 1 backfire. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Old 17-06-2004, 06:08 PM
mudpiemaker42

the back fire is caused by detonation that's when you turn off the engine it
will turn over several more times sucking gas into the combustion chamber.
the engine is so hot that the gas ignites from the heat. the back fire you
hear is the explosion from the gas igniting. try letting your mower run at
idle for at least one minute before you turn it off also check idle speed
adj. it could be to running to fast at idle also check high speed fuel adj.
it could be running to lean making engine over heat
"caj" wrote in message

Greg wrote:
(Greg) wrote in message
. com...

. com...

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 19-06-2004, 08:57 AM
caj caj is offline
Registered User

[quote]Originally posted by mudpiemaker42
[b]the back fire is caused by detonation that's when you turn off the engine it
will turn over several more times sucking gas into the combustion chamber.
the engine is so hot that the gas ignites from the heat. the back fire you
hear is the explosion from the gas igniting. try letting your mower run at
idle for at least one minute before you turn it off also check idle speed
adj. it could be to running to fast at idle also check high speed fuel adj.
it could be running to lean making engine over heat
"caj" wrote in message
...[color=blue]

Thank you very much! I will do everything you have said.