Old 19-05-2004, 01:08 AM
desiglass

Default push type, rotary lawn mower with 2 cycly engine

I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks) which are around 40
feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably ruining my lawn
mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been recommended. Is there any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

Old 19-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Frank K.

"desiglass" wrote in message
I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks)

which are around 40
feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably

ruining my lawn
mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been

recommended. Is there any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any

comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

http://www.lawnboy.com/ Quality equipment. Click on "Easy
Choice Mower Selector".

Old 21-05-2004, 03:08 AM
RoyDMercer

"desiglass" wrote in message
I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks) which are around 40
feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably ruining my lawn
mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been recommended. Is there

any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

I don't see as how a 2 cycle engine is going to help much. 2 cycle engines
are simpler and have less moving parts, but I don't know if they really last
longer. If you are wearing out lawn mower engines, look for ones with steel
or chrome cylinder liners. That seems to make the biggest difference on
wearability.

Old 21-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Steveo

"RoyDMercer" wrote:
"desiglass" wrote in message
I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks) which are around
40 feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably ruining my
lawn mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been recommended. Is
there

any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

I don't see as how a 2 cycle engine is going to help much. 2 cycle
engines are simpler and have less moving parts, but I don't know if they
really last longer. If you are wearing out lawn mower engines, look for
ones with steel or chrome cylinder liners. That seems to make the
biggest difference on wearability.

I agree, two cycle is more for high rpm's like chain saws weed wacks
and dirt bikes etc. Four cycle an even more so diesel, are better for
low end torque applications like lawn or dirt equipment.
Old 21-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Frank K.

"RoyDMercer" wrote in
message ...
"desiglass" wrote in message
I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks)

which are around 40
feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably

ruining my lawn
mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been

recommended. Is there
any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any

comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

I don't see as how a 2 cycle engine is going to help much.

2 cycle engines
are simpler and have less moving parts, but I don't know

if they really last
longer. If you are wearing out lawn mower engines, look

for ones with steel
or chrome cylinder liners. That seems to make the biggest

difference on
wearability.

A two stroke cycle will work at severe angled terrain better
than a four stroke with a crankcase.

Old 21-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Chas Hurst

"desiglass" wrote in message
I have recently learned that my long terraces (banks) which are around

40
feet long and take usually 4 to 5 passes are probably ruining my lawn
mowers. Use of a 2 cycle engine machine has been recommended. Is there

any
such mower available anymore? I would appreciate any comments and
suggestions. Thank you.
Dennis

I don't see as how a 2 cycle engine is going to help much. 2 cycle

engines
are simpler and have less moving parts, but I don't know if they really

last
longer. If you are wearing out lawn mower engines, look for ones with

steel
or chrome cylinder liners. That seems to make the biggest difference on
wearability.

The 4 cycle mower could lose lubrication on steep slopes while the 2 cycle
has it's lubrication in the fuel- if it's running it's oiled. Lawn Boy did
make some great 2 cycle mowers.
Maybe they still do.