Old 19-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Randy

Default Edger will not start

Have a McClane edger with a Briggs 3.5 motor that will not start.
Changed plug, filter, gas, and oil with no success. Any ideas?

Old 19-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Larry

"Randy" wrote in message ...
Have a McClane edger with a Briggs 3.5 motor that will not start.
Changed plug, filter, gas, and oil with no success. Any ideas?

Three things are needed for a gas engine to run:
1. Correct fuel/air mix
2. Compression
3. Spark (at the right time)

Since (I assume) this unit sits during the off-season, I'd start with the
carb. If it's 'gummed up' this will throw off the mixture enough to where it
will starve or flood. Either way it may not start. I'd pull the carb apart,
clean it, and reinstall.

Larry

Old 19-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Bob

"Randy" wrote in message ...
Have a McClane edger with a Briggs 3.5 motor that will not start.
Changed plug, filter, gas, and oil with no success. Any ideas?

You didn't say how old it is. Does it have electronic ignition or old
style points and condenser. My guess is the latter.

Either way, it could be that you have no spark -
To check this, pull the wire off the plug and hold on to it while
someone pulls the starter rope through. NO! Just kidding.

To check for spark pull the wire off the plug. Hold it about 1/8 to
1/4 inch from any metal on the engine. Have someone pull the starter rope
and you should see a spark jump from the wire to the metal.

If you don't, you have ignition problem.

If you have points and condenser, get new ones (most hardware stores) and
replace them. If you don't know how to do this, you will have to get
someone to work on it.

If you have electronic ignition, you probably need a new module.

Hope this helps. Bob

Old 20-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Randy

I guess it is a mid 90's model. Bought it cheap at a garage sale 3 years
ago. Thanks for the advice. Will check it out.

Bob wrote:
"Randy" wrote in message ...

[...]

Edging revisited... true edger vs. attachment edger [email protected] Lawns 11 18-06-2006 01:40 PM
Lawn Edger Ray Lawns 1 24-06-2003 02:32 PM
Lawn Edger Janet Australia 3 30-05-2003 03:08 AM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 17-03-2003 12:32 PM