Old 21-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Scotty

Default Snow Mold Cure ?

Every winter I get a type of winter mold that kills off large patches of my
grass. Its is a sun and shade mixture for the northeast. I understand how to
prevent the mold by putting down expensive amounts of systemic fungicide
just before the grass goes dormant. If I don't put it down as I didn't last
year the mold returns and my lawn is very damaged. I want to know how to
cure it once and for all. Even if its an expensive cure, in the long run it
would be cheap compared to the 120 $ application of fungicide every fall.
Thanks a bunch William

--
The sick in soul insist it is humanity that is sick, and they are the
surgeons to operate on it. They want to turn the world into a sick room. And

Old 21-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Steveo

"Scotty" wrote:
Every winter I get a type of winter mold that kills off large patches of
my grass. Its is a sun and shade mixture for the northeast. I understand
how to prevent the mold by putting down expensive amounts of systemic
fungicide just before the grass goes dormant. If I don't put it down as I
didn't last year the mold returns and my lawn is very damaged. I want to
know how to cure it once and for all. Even if its an expensive cure, in
the long run it would be cheap compared to the 120 $ application of
fungicide every fall. Thanks a bunch William

You may need to introduce more resistant turfgrass variety's, sounds
like your blend is susceptible to it. You're right, bayleton is not
at all cheap.

Think it's too thick to slice seed some resistant variety's of blue
and ryegrass this Aug? depending on where you live

How many sq ft do you have?
Old 21-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Peter H

"Scotty" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect that the cure for your problem lies more with what you do with
your lawn in the summer than in the fall or winter. The cure won't cost
more, in fact it is cheaper.

My suggestion would be to avoid all fertilization of the lawn in the summer
months and keep the watering to a very minimum. Make certain that your
nitrogen applications for the entire season are equal to or less than 4
pounds/ 1,000 square feet. ( that's nitrogen, not fertilizer). For your last
cut in the fall take it down lower than your regular cut. Get it down to
about one inch.

Good luck,

Peter H

Old 21-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Steveo

"Peter H" wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
[...]

Might work, but his lawn will look dormant all summer unless it rains
quite a bit. That's a hard sell when it can be fixed by applying money.
Old 21-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Scotty said:

Every winter I get a type of winter mold that kills off large patches of my
grass. Its is a sun and shade mixture for the northeast. I understand how to
prevent the mold by putting down expensive amounts of systemic fungicide
just before the grass goes dormant. If I don't put it down as I didn't last
year the mold returns and my lawn is very damaged. I want to know how to
cure it once and for all. Even if its an expensive cure, in the long run it
would be cheap compared to the 120 $ application of fungicide every fall.

I get a little of this, mostly where the soil is more compressed (commonly used
routes across the lawn) or where extra snow was piled on the lawn from clearing
walks or the driveway. The spots are small and fill in quickly. They were worse
this year when I didn't get my usual fall aeration.

My suggestions:
Have the lawn aerated in the fall.

As the growing season ends, gradually lower the mowing height. Your last cut
should be just tall enough that you aren't scalping the lawn anywhere.

Avoid walking on the snowy lawn.
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 21-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Jeffrey K. Judd

"Scotty" wrote in message
[...]

Scotty,

I have the same problem and I am in the Northeast too. My research
indicates that too much nitrogen, at least near the end of the growing
season, makes the grass susceptible to snow mold. I will be mowing to a 1"
or so length this fall too. I usually mow the grass shorter but never that
short so far.
Here are some pics of what my lawn looked like in early spring:
http://www.outsourceparts.com/crappylawn.htm

I have not found the solution. I would be interested to know what fungicide
you used. Does It work? Were you able to get it without a license?

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 22-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Scotty

I have found a good website with a test of fungicides on just this problem
in the northeast. From what I hear there is no cure, looks like I am stuck
with prevention. Here is the site with the information.
http://www.umassturf.org/publication...summary_03.pdf
This site has a lot of great information in it go to the home site its
awesome. Thanks for your help

Old 26-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Pete B

My lawn got hammered by what I also believe to be snow mold. It came out of
it's first winter great but got creamed this time. From what I have read
there are 2 contributing factors. One is a high nitrogen feeding prior to
winter, this is my last time for Scott's winterizer. I don't plan to do any
feeding after mid September. The second factor is less in our control and
that is getting snow cover before the ground freezes hard. This seems to say
that with a blanket of insulation the mold has a party with all that
nitrogen. These are just pieces I'm putting together so take them for what
it's worth.

Regards,
Pete
Visit the spectrum of our lives at......
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum

Old 09-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Bill Freeman

Try Jerry Baker's site and advice. Go to http://www.jerrybaker.com/
Look under "Archived Articles" for "WIPE OUT DASTARDLY DANDELIONS." In the
last problem solver section dealing with snow mold, "Because the fungus that
causes snow mold becomes inactive in warm weather, there's not much point in
treating your lawn with a fungicide."
http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?...=Custom&ID=150 Jerry has some
useful, clever cures and advice.

Bill