Old 24-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Mbt6

Default Lawn is flowering

My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast. This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

--mike

Old 24-05-2004, 11:07 AM
BonnieJean

"Mbt6" wrote in message
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast.

This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

Mine too. I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's a new type of weed
and not grass? I have no idea.

Bonnie

Old 24-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Steveo

"Mbt6" wrote:
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast.
This year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

--mike

Those are annual grasses producing seed.
Old 24-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Ermalina

BonnieJean wrote:

"Mbt6" wrote in message
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast.

This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

Mine too. I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's a new type of weed
and not grass? I have no idea.

Bonnie

I noticed the same thing. It's definitely the grass.

We had a bit of a drought last summer and fall, enough to kill some of
the grass; so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???
Old 25-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Steveo

Ermalina wrote:
BonnieJean wrote:

"Mbt6" wrote in message
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too
fast.

This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

Mine too. I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's a new type of
weed and not grass? I have no idea.

Bonnie

I noticed the same thing. It's definitely the grass.

We had a bit of a drought last summer and fall, enough to kill some of
the grass; so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass producing seed.

Old 25-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Ermalina

Steveo wrote:

Ermalina wrote:
BonnieJean wrote:

"Mbt6" wrote in message
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too
fast.
This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

Mine too. I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's a new type of
weed and not grass? I have no idea.

Bonnie

I noticed the same thing. It's definitely the grass.

We had a bit of a drought last summer and fall, enough to kill some of
the grass; so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass producing seed.

NO. It is NOT "ANNUAL" grass producing seed. The grass in MY lawn is NOT
ANNUAL grass.
Old 25-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Steveo

Ermalina wrote:
No. It's annual grass producing seed.

NO. It is NOT "ANNUAL" grass producing seed. The grass in MY lawn is NOT
ANNUAL grass.

It's grass that is flowering?
Old 25-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Steveo

Ermalina wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Ermalina wrote:
BonnieJean wrote:

"Mbt6" wrote in message
[...]

Can you pick the flowers and put them in a vase?
Old 25-05-2004, 03:05 AM
CW

Annual grasses are considered by most to be weed. Under the right
conditions, they can take over a lawn with perennial grasses.
Especially true if you cut your grass fairly short.

How exactly are you so certain you don't have annual grass seeding?

CW

Old 25-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Peter H

"Mbt6" wrote in message
My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast.

This
year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is
flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a
problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from
happening.

--mike

We need to know where you live Mike, and if you know the type of grass that
you have.

Peter H

Old 25-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Steveo

Ermalina wrote:
so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass going to seed.
Old 25-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Ermalina

Steveo wrote:

Ermalina wrote:
so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass going to seed.

NO. It's NOT ANNUAL GRASS GOING TO SEED.

My lawn, and the lawns in my neighborhood, are a well-established
typical mix of various northern PERENNIAL grasses, primarily Kentucky
bluegrass with some ryegrass and fescue.

AS I SAID, I have noticed that my lawn, as well as neighbors' lawns (one
of which is owned by the owner of a lawn service and is 100% Kentucky
Bluegrass) have produced an EXTRAORDINARY amount of seeding this Spring.

I've also noticed an extraordinary amount of assertions, based on ZERO
observations, by what APPEAR to be PERENNIAL TWITS on
alt.home.lawn.garden; however THEY, I will admit, might be ANNUALS. ;-)
Old 25-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Steveo

Ermalina wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Ermalina wrote:
so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the
grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass going to seed.

NO. It's NOT ANNUAL GRASS GOING TO SEED.

My lawn, and the lawns in my neighborhood, are a well-established
typical mix of various northern PERENNIAL grasses, primarily Kentucky
bluegrass with some ryegrass and fescue.

AS I SAID, I have noticed that my lawn, as well as neighbors' lawns (one
of which is owned by the owner of a lawn service and is 100% Kentucky
Bluegrass) have produced an EXTRAORDINARY amount of seeding this Spring.

I've also noticed an extraordinary amount of assertions, based on ZERO
observations, by what APPEAR to be PERENNIAL TWITS on
alt.home.lawn.garden; however THEY, I will admit, might be ANNUALS. ;-)

Hey dumbass, no one has 100% perennial bluegrss. You and your expert
neighbor are looking at annual bluegrass and or rye going to seed.

Yore welcome.
Old 26-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Mbt6

Salt Lake Utah, Kentucky Blue, it seems to be unique to my lawn. I don't see
it happening to most of my neighbors. (I wonder if it's the "grass is
greener" deal, where it really is happening more often, but I am more
observant of my own).

"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...