Old 24-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Greg

Default Brown Spots on Ash Tree

We have a couple of Marshal Ashes. The one in the front yard is getting
brown rusty colored spots on the leaves. It doesn't look like insects have
been eating on it. No holes. Just brown spots. We live in Northwest
Arkansas. The temperature has been in the upper 80's. I might have been
watering it too much. I was told recently that it needs done only once or
twice a week. I'm doing it about every night. Could that be the cause of the
spots?

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. anyone have a suggestion to get rid of johnson grass? I'm to the point
where I am going to have to pull each one up by hand.

Old 24-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Patch

"Greg" wrote in message
We have a couple of Marshal Ashes. The one in the front yard is getting
brown rusty colored spots on the leaves. It doesn't look like insects have
been eating on it. No holes. Just brown spots. We live in Northwest
Arkansas. The temperature has been in the upper 80's. I might have been
watering it too much. I was told recently that it needs done only once or
twice a week. I'm doing it about every night. Could that be the cause of

the
spots?

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. anyone have a suggestion to get rid of johnson grass? I'm to the

point
where I am going to have to pull each one up by hand.

Are the spots kind of an orange, rust looking color? If so, it's probably
"Rust", a fungal condition. They make a fungicide to control it. Visit your
local plant nursery & see if they have a book with pictures to help you
identify it.

Old 25-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Greg

Yes. They are orange/rust looking. I had read on a site today about this
condition. I'll tear off a leaf tomorrow and take it to a nursery and see if
they can confirm it.

Thanks.

Old 25-05-2004, 04:09 AM
RoyDMercer

"Greg" wrote in message
We have a couple of Marshal Ashes. The one in the front yard is getting
brown rusty colored spots on the leaves. It doesn't look like insects have
been eating on it. No holes. Just brown spots. We live in Northwest
Arkansas. The temperature has been in the upper 80's. I might have been
watering it too much. I was told recently that it needs done only once or
twice a week. I'm doing it about every night. Could that be the cause of

the
spots?

Just a note on watering. Green Ash trees (Marshall is a Green Ash) don't
usually suffer from overwatering. If you are watering the leaves, make sure
you do it in the morning, rather than the evening to discourage fungus and
mildew.

p.s. anyone have a suggestion to get rid of johnson grass? I'm to the

point
where I am going to have to pull each one up by hand.

Torch them! You can also use a damp rag soaked in round-up and wipe the
leaves. This method will keep you from killing the surrounding grass.

Old 25-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Steveo

"Greg" wrote:
p.s. anyone have a suggestion to get rid of johnson grass? I'm to the
point where I am going to have to pull each one up by hand.

Did you try msma?

Old 25-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Greg

Never heard of it.

Old 26-05-2004, 01:04 PM
RoyDMercer

"Greg" wrote in message
Never heard of it.

MSMA is primarily used on Bermuda grass lawns. When used correctly, it's
very effective against crabgrass. Johnson grass usually does not grow in
the middle of a lawn because it can't survive very well when regularly
mowed. You may have crabgrass rather than Johnson grass. If this is the
case, and you have a Bermuda lawn, MSMA works very well especially this time
of year. MSMA is also pretty cheap, but use it for spot treatment only.

Old 26-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Greg

Yes. I do have bermuda lawn. But I'm pretty sure this is either johnson
grass or dallisgrass (from the pictures I've seen on the web)

Old 26-05-2004, 03:05 PM
RoyDMercer

"Greg" wrote in message
Yes. I do have bermuda lawn. But I'm pretty sure this is either johnson
grass or dallisgrass (from the pictures I've seen on the web)

MSMA says it will work on Johnsongrass or Dallisgrass so you should probably
give it a try. There are some listed weeds which I found MSMA doesn't work
all that well on. It works best when the temperature is high, so now and
throughout the summer is when the best results can be had from MSMA. You'll
know within a week if it's working or not. You may have to reapply in 2-3
weeks.

MSMA is the best thing I've found for postemergent control of crabgrass in
Bermuda lawns. It will discolor your grass, but won't kill Bermuda as long
as you mix it at recommended levels.