Old 28-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Dave

Default Troy-Bilt

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote in message ...
"Dave" wrote in message:

The worst thing you ever purchased? That seems a little odd to me. I
don't think I would have shelled out $1800 on a tiller, but then I did
spend $700+ on a Troy in 1980 (what is that in 2004 dollars?) and I am
still using it although the original 6hp Tecumseh broke the rod this
Spring so for $300 I put a new 8hp Tecumseh on it. I need to adjust
the sliding block for the disengage lever every year or two. Maybe you
need to file the sliding block a bit if you have such trouble pulling
up on the disengage lever. The Honda looks like a virtual clone to me
although with some added bells and whistles. To anyone considering it
my suggestion would be to buy used, in the Fall or Winter.

I bought a Sears 8hp rear tine for $600 about the same time. I wouldn't say
it was built as solid as Troy-Bilt but I have done a lot of tilling and very
little adjustment or repair. I might be giving it up now because a bearing
went on an intermediate shaft and it looks like you have to take half the
machine apart to replace it. Just looked at a 10 year old 8 horse electric
start Troy-Bilt that looks like new. He started at $1200 and is down to
$1000. My best offer is $800. I'm getting too old and decrepid to spend
more than that at this point. My son is pushing me toward a BCS because he
likes all the attachments.

Fall and Winter is the time to buy them. I would like to look at some
of these other fancy models, like I mentioned trying the Gravely.
Don't know what attachments are really cost effective though. Changing
back and forth between attachments could be a headache.
Old 28-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Srgnt Bilko
"Dave" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Good luck !!! My advice behond what I said above, would be to try tilling with it before you buy it. Try stopping it were you want to stop, turning it around to do another pass, moving it around. These large troy tillers are not for the young at heart, they do take some muscle to move around.

But Good Luck,
Old 29-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Dave

Duane wrote in message ...

--
Duane

I agree on the turning issue. You don't want to turn a Troy in a
confined little garden. It has a solid axle and weighs several hundred
pounds. You need to walk in a big circle to have the leverage to turn
it.