Old 27-05-2004, 07:14 PM
actorguy2001

Default Troy-Bilt

I've been shopping for a rototiller and found one I liked on amazon,
the Troy-Bilt 21A-644H766 Pro-Line CRT 6.75 HP Rear Tine Tiller. I
went to my local lawn & garden equipment place because I knew they
sold Troy-Bilt. Well, they only sold one rototiller, a Simplicity,
but it didn't have counter rotating tines. The guy there said that
they stopped selling Troy-Bilt because Troy-Bilt had been bought by
another company (MTD?) and the equipment built by the new company was
basically substandard.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,
Ven Hawkins
Old 27-05-2004, 09:05 PM
RoyDMercer

"actorguy2001" wrote in message
om...
I've been shopping for a rototiller and found one I liked on amazon,
the Troy-Bilt 21A-644H766 Pro-Line CRT 6.75 HP Rear Tine Tiller. I
went to my local lawn & garden equipment place because I knew they
sold Troy-Bilt. Well, they only sold one rototiller, a Simplicity,
but it didn't have counter rotating tines. The guy there said that
they stopped selling Troy-Bilt because Troy-Bilt had been bought by
another company (MTD?) and the equipment built by the new company was
basically substandard.

Is there any truth to this?

MTD now owns Troy-Built, Cub Cadet, and several other brands. My guess is
the same factories which made Troy-Built products are still making the
Troy-Built branded products. However your customer service will now be
through MTD.

Old 27-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Steveo

"RoyDMercer" wrote:
"actorguy2001" wrote in message
om...
I've been shopping for a rototiller and found one I liked on amazon,
the Troy-Bilt 21A-644H766 Pro-Line CRT 6.75 HP Rear Tine Tiller. I
went to my local lawn & garden equipment place because I knew they
sold Troy-Bilt. Well, they only sold one rototiller, a Simplicity,
but it didn't have counter rotating tines. The guy there said that
they stopped selling Troy-Bilt because Troy-Bilt had been bought by
another company (MTD?) and the equipment built by the new company was
basically substandard.

Is there any truth to this?

MTD now owns Troy-Built, Cub Cadet, and several other brands. My guess
is the same factories which made Troy-Built products are still making the
Troy-Built branded products. However your customer service will now be
through MTD.

Roy is right, MTD is the parent company. They make lots of different
brands now.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Dave

"Sarge" wrote in message ...

Troybilt tillers were crap long before MTD bought them out.

But they are popular. They are pretty reliable. The new MTD ones look
cheezy. MTD is obviously hoping to cash in on the name before everone
knows how much they have changed them. I admit the old Troybilts are
clumsy beasts but they are simple and rugged.

I tried an old Gravely walk-behind rotary plow today and it was
bizarre.

Old 17-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Dave

Duane wrote in message ...
"Bad Bob" wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
"Sarge" wrote:

Troybilt tillers were crap long before MTD bought them out.

But they are popular. They are pretty reliable. The new MTD
ones look cheezy. MTD is obviously hoping to cash in on the
name before everone knows how much they have changed them. I
admit the old Troybilts are clumsy beasts but they are
simple and rugged.

I tried an old Gravely walk-behind rotary plow today and it
was bizarre.

I agree !!! Troybilt tillers are crap !!! I own a 8 HP electric
start, Troybilt made before MTD purchased them. It's not worth 2
cents but cost me $1,800 new. Total worthless, the worst thing I
ever purchased. Consistently needs adjustments, difficult to get
it to stop going forward and hard as heck to move it around.

Save your money, but something else !!!! I heard Honda's were
great!!!

The worst thing you ever purchased? That seems a little odd to me. I
don't think I would have shelled out $1800 on a tiller, but then I did
spend $700+ on a Troy in 1980 (what is that in 2004 dollars?) and I am
still using it although the original 6hp Tecumseh broke the rod this
Spring so for $300 I put a new 8hp Tecumseh on it. I need to adjust
the sliding block for the disengage lever every year or two. Maybe you
need to file the sliding block a bit if you have such trouble pulling
up on the disengage lever. The Honda looks like a virtual clone to me
although with some added bells and whistles. To anyone considering it
my suggestion would be to buy used, in the Fall or Winter.
Old 17-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
[
The worst thing you ever purchased? That seems a little odd to me. I
don't think I would have shelled out $1800 on a tiller, but then I did
spend $700+ on a Troy in 1980 (what is that in 2004 dollars?) and I am
still using it although the original 6hp Tecumseh broke the rod this
Spring so for $300 I put a new 8hp Tecumseh on it. I need to adjust
the sliding block for the disengage lever every year or two. Maybe you
need to file the sliding block a bit if you have such trouble pulling
up on the disengage lever. The Honda looks like a virtual clone to me
although with some added bells and whistles. To anyone considering it
my suggestion would be to buy used, in the Fall or Winter. [/b]
The list price was $2,395 in 1999 US dollars and I got it on sale during the Fall season for $1800. US dollars at Sears. It is a 8hp electric start so it would more then yours.
At any price it is still junk !!!

Its going on Ebay soon. Right now its now working again, the moter runs but the tiller does move. I don't have time until this weekend to look at it again.

I brought it to the Troy Bilt representive in my area (very large company) for servicing once, and the customer service manager said they repair them (all the time ! ! !) but stopped carrying Troy Bilt because Troy Bilt have so many problems before and after MTD acquired the.

I was also at a Rental Yard last year, and the owner there complaint that each time he rents out the Troy Bilt, the renter calls up after a hour, and complains about the tiller, so he has to drive out to the customer's house, and delievers the Honda tiller for the renter to use and brings back the Troy Bilt for more adjustments. He also mentioned that the rental customer consistently complain about Troy Bilt and speak very highly of the Honda, and wants to know why they even bother to rent out the Troy-Bilt tiller.

Additionally, reading the Troy-Bilt Operator's Manual is like reading the Boeing 747 Airplane Operator's Manual in Latin. IE Loosen Part A while hold Part B which is shown back on Page 33 and now reach around to Part D which is shown on Page 44, while kneeling on your right knee. You get the idea??

Maybe back in 1980 they were made better.

Old 18-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Dave

Duane wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
[...]
At any price it is still junk !!!

Its going on Ebay soon. Right now its now working again, the
moter runs but the tiller does move. I don't have time until
this weekend to look at it again.
[...]

So the belt is too loose, thus the tiller won't go forward, right?

Except for the electric start doesn't it look just like this one?

Old 21-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Duane wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
[...]
At any price it is still junk !!!

Its going on Ebay soon. Right now its now working again, the
moter runs but the tiller does move. I don't have time until
this weekend to look at it again.
[...]

So the belt is too loose, thus the tiller won't go forward, right?

Except for the electric start doesn't it look just like this one?

Yep Dave,

That's what it looks like.
Old 21-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Dave

Duane wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
*Duane wrote:
At any price it is still junk !!!

Its going on Ebay soon. Right now its now working again, the
motor runs but the tiller does move. I don't have time until
this weekend to look at it again.
[...]

So the belt is too loose, thus the tiller won't go forward, right?
Except for the electric start doesn't it look just like this one?

http://tinyurl.com/3ftea *

Yep Dave, That's what it looks like.

So to have a lot of trouble with it I have to guess that the
forward/reverse lever is your main problem? Maybe the sliding block is
not tightened enough? Maybe the spring is just too strong? I think I
had to mess with the spring before the tension was finally right. The
operation of the tiller is pretty simple and straightforward. I keep
the belt in the slower position and use only the slow gear speed for
tilling.

Old 28-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Duane wrote in message

"Bad Bob" wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
"Sarge" wrote:

[...]

I bought a Sears 8hp rear tine for $600 about the same time. I wouldn't say
it was built as solid as Troy-Bilt but I have done a lot of tilling and very
little adjustment or repair. I might be giving it up now because a bearing
went on an intermediate shaft and it looks like you have to take half the
machine apart to replace it. Just looked at a 10 year old 8 horse electric
start Troy-Bilt that looks like new. He started at $1200 and is down to
$1000. My best offer is $800. I'm getting too old and decrepid to spend
more than that at this point. My son is pushing me toward a BCS because he
likes all the attachments.