GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Edging, with an Echo string trimmer...how? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/62682-edging-echo-string-trimmer-how.html)

Jim K. 30-05-2004 06:07 AM

Edging, with an Echo string trimmer...how?

I just bought a new Echo 210i trimmer (had a Crapsman, before :) and I
was not able to find anywhere in the manuals/instructions the 'proper'
way to turn and use the trimmer for 'edging'.

It (obviously) has two mechanisms for throttle control and (obviously)
is designed to be held in such a way as to have the throttle 'trigger'
on the bottom of the shaft (also, with the gas tank aligned under the
shaft).

Now, when I want to switch from 'trimming' to 'edging'...I'm wondering
if it's intended to be used in an 'upside-down' manner (so-to-speak)
when using it for edging.

I thought perhaps, loosening the two (or 3) screws down at the 'head'
and twisting the head (as opposed to rotataing the shaft--which puts
throttle trigger and gas tank 'upside-down') would make it operate
more comfortably (as when in 'normal' trimming position).

I'm probably wrong, in thinking this will work, since I suspect that
by turning the 'head' it would twist the drive mechanism also? and
that would NOT be a good thing? ;-)

But, since I've not owned/used such a fine instrument as this, before,
I just knew there would be some knowledgeable landscaper/pro here in
the ng who'd be able to set me straight...yes? (I hope :)

TIA...

Jim K...just outside Det., MI

Timothy 30-05-2004 08:06 AM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:27:54 -0400, Jim K. wrote:

[...]

Good day Jim. I edge more than 500 feet a week with either my echo or
tanka trimmers. There is really no mistery about it. Just flip the trimmer
upside down and straight edge. I have found somethings that help with this
seemingly awkward set up though.

1 take off the guard. This is not to be something that the faint of heart
should do. You will get hit with stuff from time to time. You will get
your moneies worth out of your safety glasses for sure.

2 when straight edging sidewalks, drives or other concrete surfaces, work
from the concrete side. It's best to whip the concrete than the lawn area.

3 walk backwards. The echo heads rotate in a clock-wise direction. When
straight edging, the head will lap against the ground instead of dig. I
have meet people who can straight edge while walking forward, but I am not
one of them and most folks can't either. I believe that the only person in
my crew who edged in a forward walk was left handed? The head always digs
in and runs away. Bad deal for the lawn.

4 hold the trimmer just as you would in normal operation, but only
upside-down. Hold the trimmer just above or below the D (or J if it is so
equipt) handle. Hold the foam area with the other hand and use your thumb
to control the handle.

5 pratice edging on concrete. The joining cracks are a good area to
pratice on. Again your shooting rocks so you may want to ge a face sheild
80)

And another tip... when flat edging, walk backwards. This will keep the
grass trimmings from shooting it to the flower beds. I'd rather have
grassy legs than weedy beds anyday.

*********
Update
*********
Ok, just right before I hit the send button, I looked up the echo model
that you have. It wasn't comfortable with the post due to the model
number. I looked it up and all of them show a U handle. These are brush
cutters and are not for straight edging. If you flip the head as you
suggested, you may very well bust the gear in the end of the shaft. This I
really don't know for sure. Still, edging with a U handle with the head
flipped would still be a bit of a chore. Imho, this may not be the trimmer
for you and your needs.

RoyDMercer 30-05-2004 08:06 AM

Edging, with an Echo string trimmer...how?

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

*********
Update
*********
Ok, just right before I hit the send button, I looked up the echo model
that you have. It wasn't comfortable with the post due to the model
number. I looked it up and all of them show a U handle. These are brush
cutters and are not for straight edging. If you flip the head as you
suggested, you may very well bust the gear in the end of the shaft. This I
really don't know for sure. Still, edging with a U handle with the head
flipped would still be a bit of a chore. Imho, this may not be the trimmer
for you and your needs.

Edging with a string trimmer sucks. Even those that are designed to be used
for the purpose. There's some people who get the hang of it and can do it
quite well, but I was never one of those people. I have an Echo split-boom
with trimmer and edger attachments. Echo also sells stand alone edgers for
a couple of C notes or so. If you have a lot of driveway and sidewalks to
edge, it's really worth getting an edger.

Timothy 30-05-2004 07:08 PM

Edging, with an Echo string trimmer...how?

On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:58:28 -0500, RoyDMercer wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

*********
Update
*********
[...]

True, not much will beat a good steal blade edger. String straight
edging is not to replace a blade edger, but is to maintain the egde.
Whipping the grass that hangs over the bed line or sidewalk line is all
it's really good for. To be honest, I use a Ryobi 725 with a steel blade
edger attachment. This is a 100 dollar machine with a 50 dollar
aftermarket attachment ment for home owner use. Let me tell you, for the
price, it just can't be beat. This machine has lasted me for 4 years of
hard, commercial use. It has out lasted my first echo string trimmer.

I steel edge ever two or three months and straight edge the rest of the
time.

Jim K. 01-06-2004 06:12 PM

Edging, with an Echo string trimmer...how?

On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:36:25 GMT, Timothy
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:58:28 -0500, RoyDMercer wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

*********
Update
*********
[...]

Thanks, Tim and Roy...

Tim: my trimmer doesn't have the U-handle...it's not a
brush-cutter...and, I won't be 'flipping the head' (just the trimmer,
as you mentioned/suggested :)

Roy: I have an electric B&D 2 h.p. trencher/edger, which I use in the
Spring and Fall (first and last 'trimming/edging'), and my string
trimmer to edge (and trim, of course :) the rest of the time.

I only have a residential property to deal with, so I don't think I'll
invest in the 'edger attachment' for the Echo...at least, not at this
time.

Thanks, again, guys, for the feedback/tips...appreciate your efforts
:-)

Jim K.

Glenn Pavlovic 19-06-2004 06:05 AM

wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:58:28 -0500, RoyDMercer wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

*********
Update
*********
[...]

You might try taking a look at these things. They work great, not just
for edging either.
www.weedwheels.com
Glenn