Old 31-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Warhola

Default A question about figs:)

I just realized for the first time that my glorious fig tree produces fruit
without a flower. How does this happen? How is it fertilized.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Warhola

Old 31-05-2004, 09:07 PM
RoyDMercer

"Warhola" wrote in message
I just realized for the first time that my glorious fig tree produces

fruit
without a flower. How does this happen? How is it fertilized.

Thanks in advance for any answers

The flower is inside the fruit when it first develops so you can't see it.
Wild fig trees require a certain type of tiny wasp to enter the fruit where
it lays it's egg and in the process fertilizes the fig fruit. Most people
don't want a wasp larvae in their figs, so breeders have developed varieties
which don't require pollination. I believe the fruit from one of these figs
is sterile, but I'm not sure about that.

Question about Figs Warhola Gardening 9 12-06-2004 08:03 AM
figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 05:03 AM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 03:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 04:11 AM