Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered User

Location: n ireland
Default Creating a New Lawn

Hi all,

I have a question. I recently moved house and the rear yard was completely covered in patio brickes which were badly neglected so I lifted all 3500 Bricks.

What i am left with is Black plastic with 1 - 2 Inces of stones the 2 - 3 inces of sand.
My question: If I simply Puncture the plastic in separate Places to allow the water to soak away and then put a Stone trench against the path running to a drain would this be enough or should the plastic be lifted. I am planning on putting down at least 3 -4 inces of top soil on top of the sand then buying lawn rolls to lay on the Soil.

As this is my first attemp at gardening any help would be appriciated. Thanks all.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Fisher Price

The plastic is there to prevent weeds from sprouting under the bricks. If
you lift it up or puncture it, weeds will grow. Of course weeds will grow
anyway. Depending on the kind of grass you grow and the length of its root
you may be ok to just leave it alone.

--
Newgardner

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 02-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Chet Hayes

For good results, a lawn needs more than 3-4 inchs of top soil. I'd
get an absolute minimum of 6, preferably 9 down. If you're going to
do this, it's easier and cheaper to do it right the first time.

As long as the water is draining through the plastic that is below the
stone base that is there now, it should be ok to put the top soil over
the stone/plastic. Check it after a heavy rain and see how quickly it
drains.

Of course, to add a decent amount of top soil, you need to have the
flexibility in the grading to do this. Make sure you grade it away
from the house. Depending on constraints, you may have to remove
material that is already there before you can put top soil down.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Chet Hayes

Just another thought, it was unclear if the plastic is now on top of
the remaining stone base. If it is, then I would definitely remove
it, as it's real easy. If it's underneath, then I would consider
leaving it, as long as water is draining ok.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered User

Location: n ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by Chet Hayes
Just another thought, it was unclear if the plastic is now on top of
the remaining stone base. If it is, then I would definitely remove
it, as it's real easy. If it's underneath, then I would consider
leaving it, as long as water is draining ok.
Thanks All,

The stone Is on top of the plastic which would make it very difficult to lift, so I think I will get a good 6 Inces of top soil on top of the sand and make sure the water has plenty of drainage.

Again Thanks for all your input.