Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Mainframe

Default Why do mowers have primer bulbs?

I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

And why not Hondas?

Is this an anti-pollution device?

Has lawn mower engine design change that much?

I remember when all you had to do is fill the tank with gas, make sure that
the oil was full, and pull the cord.

It reminds me of the days before fuel injection in cars.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Larry

"Mainframe" wrote in message
I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

You'll also notice they do not have a 'choke' (that can inadvertently left
on).

Emission controls, thanks to the EPA.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Patch

"Larry" wrote in message

"Mainframe" wrote in message
I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb

that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

You'll also notice they do not have a 'choke' (that can inadvertently left
on).

My mower, chain saw & string trimmer all have "bulbs" & chokes.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Mainframe

OK the primer bulb is there for emission control

But, what does it excatly do to curb emissions?

Im the case of my 85 Sears it's only purpose seems to be to make my finger
sore from pumping it!

And yes, it does take more then 3 pushes to get it going

And again. Why does Honda's have no primer bulb. but, do have a choke?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Amy D

Mainframe wrote:

OK the primer bulb is there for emission control

But, what does it excatly do to curb emissions?

Im the case of my 85 Sears it's only purpose seems to be to make my finger
sore from pumping it!

And yes, it does take more then 3 pushes to get it going

And again. Why does Honda's have no primer bulb. but, do have a choke?

My primer on my Craftsman I bought at Sears last year CHEAP--$160 for 6
hp works in three pushes. Haven't tried less. Works like a dream.
LOVE MY MOWER. Last year it tackled 3 acres by hand -- this year it's
wiping out 1/2 acre at my new house without breaking a sweat. Ok, I'M
not breaking a sweat.

amy in Alabama

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
William W. Plummer

"Amy D" wrote in message

Mainframe wrote:

OK the primer bulb is there for emission control

But, what does it excatly do to curb emissions?

Im the case of my 85 Sears it's only purpose seems to be to make my

finger
sore from pumping it!

And yes, it does take more then 3 pushes to get it going

And again. Why does Honda's have no primer bulb. but, do have a choke?

My primer on my Craftsman I bought at Sears last year CHEAP--$160 for 6
hp works in three pushes. Haven't tried less. Works like a dream.
LOVE MY MOWER. Last year it tackled 3 acres by hand -- this year it's
wiping out 1/2 acre at my new house without breaking a sweat. Ok, I'M
not breaking a sweat.

I don't understand the question. Prop-driven airplanes have a primer,
throttle and mixture (choke) control on each engine.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Larry

"Patch" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message

"Mainframe" wrote in message
I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb

that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

You'll also notice they do not have a 'choke' (that can inadvertently

left
on).

My mower, chain saw & string trimmer all have "bulbs" & chokes.

Okay, I've not seen that. I thought the 'bulb' replaced the choke.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 09-06-2004, 03:18 PM
RoyDMercer

"Mainframe" wrote in message
I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

And why not Hondas?

Is this an anti-pollution device?

Has lawn mower engine design change that much?

I remember when all you had to do is fill the tank with gas, make sure

that
the oil was full, and pull the cord.

It reminds me of the days before fuel injection in cars.

I've given the subject a bit of thought myself and here is what I've come up
with. Keep in mind this is all pure speculation and shouldn't be regarded
as factual. I believe the bulb allows for a different type of carburetor
design which allows small engine manufacturers to comply with emissions
standards. If the carburetor were continuously primed as are non-bulb type
carburetors, then this might lead to greater harmful emissions for some
reason I haven't been able to figure out yet. Honda has probably figured
out a way to make their product inherently low in harmful emissions (which
Honda is good at), so they didn't have to use the bulb design to meet the
requirements (if indeed there are actual requirements).

I have an older B&S engine on my push mower. There is no bulb and the
engine starts on the first pull. Every other small engine that I have that
has a bulb requires 2-4 pulls to get started.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Bubba

I have a Snapper mulcher with BS Intek 6.5. It has a fixed throttle and no
choke but has a bulb. It starts first pull every time. Best mower I've
ever owned. Cut my St Augustine like a hot knife through butter.

Bubba

Old 09-06-2004, 04:19 PM
RoyDMercer

"Bubba" wrote in message
I have a Snapper mulcher with BS Intek 6.5. It has a fixed throttle and

no
choke but has a bulb. It starts first pull every time. Best mower I've
ever owned. Cut my St Augustine like a hot knife through butter.

Mine is a Snapper also. It is about 15 years old. The engine doesn't have
quite as much power as it once did, but the thing is still running well
other than that.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Mainframe

don't understand the question. Prop-driven airplanes have a primer,
throttle and mixture (choke) control on each engine.

Ok, I try to make it VERY simple!

In 1971 my dad bought a store brand mower.

to start it all you had to do was set the choke to "start" and pull the
starter cord.

in 1986 he replaced that with a Sears mower.

It had a primer bulb that had to be (as the manual said) "pushed until
firm."

I just want to know why if a 1971 mower did not have a primer bulb, why
should a 1986 - today mower have/need one?

And why does Honda mowers don't have/need a primer bulb (by they do have a
choke).

P.S.

Of course I could make life simple, and pull the 1966 reel mower out of the
basement :-)

Old 09-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Dave

"Mainframe" wrote in message ...
I may be in the market for a new lawn mower.

But, I have notice that evey mower (except for Hondas) have this bulb that
has to press at lease 3 times before starting the engine.

Why?

I have not looked at new lawnmowers, although I did just buy a new
Tecumseh engine. No primer bulb on it. The only primer bulbs I have on
equipment are on a few 2-cycle engines.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Amy D

Mainframe wrote:

don't understand the question. Prop-driven airplanes have a primer,

throttle and mixture (choke) control on each engine.

Ok, I try to make it VERY simple!

In 1971 my dad bought a store brand mower.

to start it all you had to do was set the choke to "start" and pull the
starter cord.

in 1986 he replaced that with a Sears mower.

It had a primer bulb that had to be (as the manual said) "pushed until
firm."

I just want to know why if a 1971 mower did not have a primer bulb, why
should a 1986 - today mower have/need one?

And why does Honda mowers don't have/need a primer bulb (by they do have a
choke).

P.S.

Of course I could make life simple, and pull the 1966 reel mower out of the
basement :-)

I've been wanting to take a small engine course and rebuild mowers but
my husband insists that a woman in the south wouldn't make any money.

But...did the OLD mowers have to mix oil and gas? Just curious.....

Anyway, nonetheless, I love my mower from Sears, primer and all.

I mowed 2 1/2 acres last year 10 days after a c-section with an ANCIENT
rebuilt 3.5 hp........

amy

Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 AM
John Harlow

I mowed 2 1/2 acres last year 10 days after a c-section with an
ANCIENT rebuilt 3.5 hp........

Wow. Were you hit from behind by a Harley?

That must have been a painful birth.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Amy D

John Harlow wrote:

I mowed 2 1/2 acres last year 10 days after a c-section with an
ANCIENT rebuilt 3.5 hp........

Wow. Were you hit from behind by a Harley?

That must have been a painful birth.

LMAO..that was a pretty stupid way of wording that, huh....LMAO!

amy

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Algae primer test Ka30P Ponds 16 10-08-2004 05:57 PM
[IBC] Chamaecyparis soil type question - and a small Google primer kevin bailey Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 11:02 AM