Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
keith98rodeo

Default Why is 42" cut only 36" w/riding tractor?

I have a mid-90's MTD riding mower with a 42" deck.
I've been getting uncut strips, and after closer examination
it's because the deck is only cutting about a 36" wide path.
It seems to be leaving about 3" uncut on both sides of the deck. I live in
Massachusetts, and the cutting height is about 2-3/8". I've changed the
belt and blades, but neither helps. The deck has been banged up a normal
amount. I've banged it back extremely close to it's original shape. The
deck is levelled properly. The hangers aren't bent. I cannot for the
life of me understand why it doesn't have a full 42" cut.
I run the engine at full throttle, and I drive at extremely slow speeds.
The blades are all the correct heights from the ground. Side-to-side the
blade tips measure 42".
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Does nyone have any other ideas
that might cause this?
Do other mowers with 42" decks cut a full 42" path?
The MTD website indicates the tires press down on the grass and that one
should overlap cuts more than the width of the tires. However, that would
mean each pass would only cut about 30". Shouldn't a mower with a 42"
deck be able to overlap a couple of inches and cut at least a 40"
path????

Old 13-06-2004, 02:05 AM
GFRfan

keith98rodeo wrote:

I have a mid-90's MTD riding mower with a 42" deck.
I've been getting uncut strips, and after closer examination
it's because the deck is only cutting about a 36" wide path.
It seems to be leaving about 3" uncut on both sides of the deck. I live in
Massachusetts, and the cutting height is about 2-3/8". I've changed the
belt and blades, but neither helps. The deck has been banged up a normal
amount. I've banged it back extremely close to it's original shape.

Could it be that the air flow under the deck has been disrupted by
damage to the deck?
--
Yard and Garden Handyman

Wiring for new replacement riding tractor engine? Brendan Lawns 1 14-05-2008 10:22 PM
Riding Lawn Tractor Dave R Lawns 6 27-06-2004 08:03 AM
BRAND-NEW riding lawn tractor - thanks ROY! DaddyMonkey Lawns 1 26-03-2004 04:08 PM
BRAND-NEW riding lawn tractor' DaddyMonkey Lawns 4 25-03-2004 09:54 AM
UK ONLY - Plants going free (or at least only the cost of postage)!! Velvet Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:13 AM