Old 13-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Howie

Default new driveway -- cracked already?

I had a contractor put in a new concrete driveway in last August (poured in
35 degree Celsius temperatures). By mid-September, it had developed a crack
already about 6 feet long (and even a small triangle about 6" big had
cracked as well.). The crack is right where I suggested an expansion joint
should be put, but the contractor said that he wasn't going to put in one in
that spot. We have a brutal expansive soil problem here called "Regina
Gumbo".

This spring I noticed another crack on another section of the driveway about
the same length.

1) Do I have a legitimate "beef" with this contractor? He told me that
cracks are going to develop over time, but should they develop this soon?

2) Is there a complaint process I should go through?

3) should I seal the cracks up? If "Yes", with what?

Howie

Old 13-06-2004, 07:04 AM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:16:10 -0600, "Howie" wrote:

I had a contractor put in a new concrete driveway in last August (poured in
35 degree Celsius temperatures). By mid-September, it had developed a crack
already about 6 feet long (and even a small triangle about 6" big had
cracked as well.). The crack is right where I suggested an expansion joint
should be put, but the contractor said that he wasn't going to put in one in
that spot. We have a brutal expansive soil problem here called "Regina
Gumbo".

This spring I noticed another crack on another section of the driveway about
the same length.

1) Do I have a legitimate "beef" with this contractor? He told me that
cracks are going to develop over time, but should they develop this soon?

2) Is there a complaint process I should go through?

Yes, as a business owner, if one of my customers is unhappy, I want
them to call me. Even if I can't make them happy, I want to get the
feedback so I can see if something is wrong with my service. Call
them, explain the issue. I would also check your agreement. I
wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'crack clause' saying something
like cracks will form, but unless the crack is large enough to fit a
credit card in, it's not covered under warranty.

hth,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********************************
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds.
Old 13-06-2004, 02:03 PM

No way in this short of time if the base layer was prepared properly should
any cracks develop.Over a few years cracking could develop not because of a
bad install.Was rebar used to control the cracking and separation of the
concrete?
news

Old 13-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Howie

They remove the old decrepit concrete, then added a base material (I think
it's called base 32?). They added rebar into the concrete mix as well.

Can I expect him to rip it out and do it again? What should I do?

"Joe" wrote in message ...
No way in this short of time if the base layer was prepared properly

should
any cracks develop.Over a few years cracking could develop not because of

bad install.Was rebar used to control the cracking and separation of the
concrete?
news

***********************************

Old 14-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Peter H

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

You might try alt.home.repair as well.

Peter H

Old 14-06-2004, 06:09 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:48:22 -0600, "Howie" wrote:

I (like a dummy) didn't get a written agreement... what can I do?

Now you ventured into the relm of a lawyer. First let me say, I am
not a lawyer. With any purchase of services or products, there is
always some form of implied warrenty. Do you have proof of
sale/services?

But first call the contractor explain what happened and then take it
from there. No need to go further if they are willing to correct the
problem. I'm very nieve and believe in the good nature of people, but
as another disclaimer, it never seems to work for me, I"m just too
lazy to change my position. :-P

Keep us up to date on this, this is interesting.

hth,

tom

wrote in message
news
[...]

************************************************* ***************************
***

http://www.FindMeShelter.com
Free Text Real Estate Ads!
FSBO's and Agents Welcome.
Old 24-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Jeff

"Howie" wrote in message ...
I (like a dummy) didn't get a written agreement... what can I do?

What exactly do you mean by a "crack" - are you speaking about something that you can barely see (which is to be expected in
concrete) or something that is separated to some extent (1/4" or so)?