Old 13-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Johnny

Default how to remove tree roots

A giant 30+ feet pine tree is growing wildly one foot outside my fence.
All the tree root are growing underneath inside my garden.

The tree root and stubs are all over the surface of my garden.
All my grass and plants die.

I want the root stop growing into my garden. Better yet, I wish this tree
stops growing.

I drilled holes in the root and poured some of the stubs removal pellets
(brought from Home Depot). Its difficult to drill much a one inch hole. So
far, nothing happened and root still growing like crazy.

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome?

Old 13-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Brian Watson

"Johnny" wrote in message
A giant 30+ feet pine tree is growing wildly one foot outside my fence.
All the tree root are growing underneath inside my garden.

The tree root and stubs are all over the surface of my garden.
All my grass and plants die.

I want the root stop growing into my garden. Better yet, I wish this tree
stops growing.

I drilled holes in the root and poured some of the stubs removal pellets
(brought from Home Depot). Its difficult to drill much a one inch hole. So
far, nothing happened and root still growing like crazy.

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome?

Where are you?

Who owns the land the tree is actually on?

UK law puts obligations on them but that may not apply where you are and the
owner could take action against you for killing their property (ie, the
tree) under some circumstances.

--
Brian
"When all about you is crumbling, when the arse is falling out of your

Old 13-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Mike LaMana

It sounds like this is the neighbors tree and you have its roots in your
yard? Is this true??

If so, careful here from a legal point of view. I am NOT a lawyer, but I am
a consulting arborist. It is my understanding that (depending on where you
are) you have the right to self-help if there is encroachment upon your real
estate by a neighbor's vegetation - above and below ground.

I.e. - "..it's his tree, he should keep it in his yard..." as it were. As
you know this is not easy to do with roots.

However, if you were to take some action to control the root encroachment
that results in the death of the tree, or that (Lord forbid) results in the
tree toppling over and damaging something or someone, you may have the
potential for a real legal problem.

My advice is to a good consulting arborist involved, and let this person
assess the situation, make recommendations in writing, etc. Money well-spent
IMO. I have seen, and been part of, many cases where arborists and attorneys
are called in after the fact and the conflict is full blown. Don't go there.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 13-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Dave

"Johnny" wrote in message ...
A giant 30+ feet pine tree is growing wildly one foot outside my fence.
All the tree root are growing underneath inside my garden.

The tree root and stubs are all over the surface of my garden.
All my grass and plants die.

I want the root stop growing into my garden. Better yet, I wish this tree
stops growing.

I drilled holes in the root and poured some of the stubs removal pellets
(brought from Home Depot). Its difficult to drill much a one inch hole. So
far, nothing happened and root still growing like crazy.

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome?

Rent a trencher. Dig a trench. Fill it with poured concrete. This is
not cheap but may save your sanity if you have no other options.

Old 13-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Johnny

Dave, I am in Seattle. Dig a trench seems like to right thing to do.
That will certainly ruin my garden. I plan to covering the entire area with
rocks.
How do I remove the roots?

om...

Old 14-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Dave

"Johnny" wrote in message ...
A giant 30+ feet pine tree is growing wildly one foot outside my fence.
All the tree root are growing underneath inside my garden.

So you do not own the tree, right? It is outside your property, right?

The tree root and stubs are all over the surface of my garden.
All my grass and plants die.

What type of garden? A garden where you will want to till the soil to
a depth of several inches?

I want the root stop growing into my garden. Better yet, I wish
this tree stops growing.

So cut the roots off with an axe and then dig them out with a shovel.
A stump grinder might also be useful.

Dave, I am in Seattle. Dig a trench seems like to right thing to do.
That will certainly ruin my garden. I plan to covering the entire
area with rocks. How do I remove the roots?

So if you plan to cover the area with rocks why do you care about
roots? Why not simply cover them up with a deeper layer of rocks?