Old 19-06-2004, 05:05 AM
DJ

Default My lawn looks better than it ever has.

The worms have flat top haircuts.

That's cute, never thought of that. I can actually picture that.
Donna J.

Old 19-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Steveo

"DJ" wrote:
The worms have flat top haircuts.

That's cute, never thought of that. I can actually picture that.
Donna J.

I can't take credit..it's an old golfing joke after you make a nasty
divot. funny visual tho

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old 20-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Mike Akre

--
AkreM
http://www.geocities.com/mikeakrem/
wrote in message

snip

It will be better next year, because I plan to overseed the backyard
this fall.

Thanks, everyone!

heh....... I think if truth be told, I HAD the worst lawn and is just now
starting to do something.

My wife and I bought our house last February. The lawn looked like,
well.....how would I put this? 2 inches of very crappy dry dirt with an old
river bed of rocks and bigger rocks past the 2" depth.. Ugh! Picture if you
will, a driveway with some little rocks and tons of weeds with hard soil.
That's my lawn!

well not anymore......

I took this advice found on the web. Link is below.

My lawn still needs a "little" work with some grass seed patching in small
areas but damn...do I have the greenest lawn on the block! All I have done
is used my Metal Rake to loosen the very top part of the soil and spread
some seed and 2 months later...BAM! Yes, I am proud of this. My 1st lawn as
a home owner and Boom....I did ok!

I would like to share that link that helped me. For all the green thumbs out
there.

http://www.richsoil.com/lawn/

It's awesome. and NO, It's not my site but wanted to share this awesome
advice to those beginners out there such as I needed.

AkreM

Old 22-06-2004, 02:07 PM
BDT

DJ
Here's something you can try. Get larger diameter wheels for your mower.
Buy 4 to replace yours now and you will raise evenly. If your wheels are 5"
now, get 6" and you will gain your 1/2". You better check to see that you
have clearance around the wheels first. Also, make sure you get the same
shaft diameter. Take one wheel off and take it in to your local hardware
store, they should be able to help you out.
Keegan
"DJ" wrote in message
No, I don't think you're a "Dork". I probably would have done that too.

:-)
I have a Murphy and measured it from the deck, as recommended and it is
almost 3" from the bottom of the deck, on the highest setting. It has 7
notches and if I were to put it on the lowest, the deck is touching the
sidewalk. Is there a way to re-adjust it so that there is at least 1/2 "
space between the deck and cement? Not that I would mow a yard on that
setting, but seems it's not correctly set. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Donna J.

wrote in message

I was glad to see your post. Thought I had subscribed to the wrong
newsgroup. You said you mow your yard 3"-4" . Can you tell me how you

know
the height?

I'm a dork...I take a ruler and measure the height of the grass after
I mow it!

I know that the third notch from the top is 3", and it looks like each
notch is a 1/4" change.

Old 24-06-2004, 03:08 AM
DJ

Keegan
Hi, thanks for the tip. I had made a mistake on the brand name, it is a
Murray, not Murphy.
I looked it up online and it says that the tires are 8". Also says that it
has a 7 Position Height
Adjustment from 1" to 3.8". When I measured I got 0" to almost 3 inches, so
maybe the store put it together wrong. Doesn't it sound strange, that the
lowest setting would literally "scrape" my yard?
Donna J.

Old 24-06-2004, 10:06 PM
BDT

DJ
Yes, it sounds as though it may be together wrong. In my neck of the
woods, 3 1/2" is the lowest I would go unless I was going to overseed very
soon, and then only in the fall. Good luck. With 8" wheels you would be
better off with a small adapter toraise them, but it sounds as though you
should be ok with 3.8"
Keegan

"