GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   new lawn problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/64676-new-lawn-problem.html)

Scott Whitehead 15-06-2004 09:10 PM

new lawn problem

Five weeks ago I laid a lawn with Rolawn turves – some of which had
suffered heating in the rolls – with the subsequent death of some
rolls. After telling Rolawn they provided me with three replacement
turves – which I used for patching two weeks after I initially laid
the lawn.
Due to this and the servicing of my lawnmower which took far longer
than I imagined – the lawn became very long and went to seed.
I cut the lawn back last Saturday – by just over a third – reducing
the length from 8 inches to just under 6 – to find that many of the
swards had gone spindly. Some areas have really thinned out.

Will I need to reseed these almost bald patches – or will the grass
regenerate and grow thicker and spread across the bald patches.

I was also wondering if I have overwatered. Because of the presence of
the new turf when I patched in the dead areas – I continued with the
‘new turf' regime of 20 minutes twice a day – to find that the area
was very soft (though not flooded) when I cut the lawn back last
Saturday.

I have since suspended watering the area – and intend watering for 20
minutes twice a week.

Could anyone advise me on the above.

Thanks,

Scott Whitehead

John P. Mullen 17-06-2004 10:06 PM

new lawn problem

Scott Whitehead wrote:
[...]

What the hell are "turves"?

Willondon 17-06-2004 11:19 PM

new lawn problem

John P. Mullen wrote:
[...]
What the hell are "turves"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/

I had to look it up myself. I figured from what Scott said that they were
rolls of sod. I found I hadn't really known what a turf was, and that it
had a plural.

--
Willondon

Doug G 18-06-2004 01:04 AM

new lawn problem

John P. Mullen wrote:

Scott Whitehead wrote:
[...]

They're like swards.

Scott Whitehead 18-06-2004 08:11 PM

new lawn problem

"John P. Mullen" wrote in message ...
Scott Whitehead wrote:
[...]

Plural for turf ie one turf - two turves

Steveo 19-06-2004 01:11 AM

new lawn problem

(Scott Whitehead) wrote:
"John P. Mullen" wrote in message
What the hell are "turves"?

Plural for turf ie one turf - two turves

DOH!

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.