Old 17-06-2004, 05:07 PM
William W. Plummer

Default Leveling lawn?

My turf isn't too bad but the surface is bumpy. My back (etc) gets really
jostled when mowing. Has anyone leveled a lawn by sprinkling on soil+seed
and rolling it. I don't think I want to rototill.

Old 17-06-2004, 09:05 PM
evolutionman 2004

I've leveled several home lawns in past homes I've owned. Depending on the
size and how much leveling you want to do (you definitely don't want to
raise the level of the yard & have water flow back towards the house), it's
possible. A few cubic yards of sandy loam (topsoil) added to lows up to a
few inches at a time, water well afterwards, will allow the surrounding
grass to grow over it. However, it's best to do this in the early spring &
not wait to far into the summer. Seed could also be applied depending on
how much of an area has soil.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
My turf isn't too bad but the surface is bumpy. My back (etc) gets really
jostled when mowing. Has anyone leveled a lawn by sprinkling on

soil+seed
and rolling it. I don't think I want to rototill.

Sounds like a plan to me - cept I'm not much on rolling - but I do like to
drag a few feet of chainlink fence around behind my lawn tractor over loose
dirt to smooth it out and level it.

Old 27-06-2004, 11:04 PM
evolutionman 2004

If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also drag a
short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor
wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and will
level the soil.

Old 28-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Barfin' Bob

evolutionman 2004 wrote:
If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also drag a
short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor
wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and will
level the soil.

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48"
wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs? I
don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

Old 28-06-2004, 03:08 PM
William W. Plummer

Barfin' Bob wrote:
evolutionman 2004 wrote:
If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also
drag a short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear
tractor wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works
great and will level the soil.

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48"
wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs?
I don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

A standard roller is about 20" in diameter and 36" wide. Filled with water,
it will weigh 350 lb. My old Sears tractor has no problem pulling a roller
(and me!). Can you tell me where to buy a rail section? I like the rail
idea because it is easier to hide&store compared to the bulky roller.

Old 29-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Srgnt Bilkoo

"Barfin' Bob" wrote in message

evolutionman 2004 wrote:
If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also drag

short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor
wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and

will
level the soil.

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48"
wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs? I
don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

If I read the chart right, the most popular rail would be about 170# for 4
feet. I am surprised - thought it would be even more. Wait a minute - just
remembered I have a few pieces (about 2" long) in the weight box behind one
of my tractors - I'll grab one tomorrow if I think of it.

Old 29-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Bilkoo" wrote in message
news

"Barfin' Bob" wrote in message

evolutionman 2004 wrote:
If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also

drag
short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor
wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and

will
level the soil.

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48"
wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs? I
don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

If I read the chart right, the most popular rail would be about 170# for 4
feet. I am surprised - thought it would be even more. Wait a minute -

just
remembered I have a few pieces (about 2" long) in the weight box behind

one
of my tractors - I'll grab one tomorrow if I think of it.

Rail track is produced in different weights. I have a 18" piece I use for an
anvil, it weighs about 30 lbs.
Two common weights I have seen are 15 lbs and 20 lbs per foot.

Chas Hurst

Old 29-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Srgnt Bilko

"Barfin' Bob" wrote in message

evolutionman 2004 wrote:
[...]

According to the chart I saw that would be the lightest of rail - not
suitable for mainline trains but used like on a worksite road - but, like I
said, the chart was a little confusing, so maybe I'm off base. But in any
case I'll continue to drag chain link rather than switch to rail.

Leveling a wavy lawn 1D10T Lawns 4 30-05-2009 04:34 AM
Labor for Lawn Leveling Zzyzx Texas 6 03-08-2006 12:03 PM
problem leveling my lawn drazen Lawns 1 26-03-2006 03:46 PM
question about leveling a lawn George.com United Kingdom 3 22-03-2006 09:02 PM
Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM