Old 18-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Clayton1970

Default Moss Control

I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live in
NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come a
long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

--

Clayton

"Do not shed your tears for me, I was not born to watch the world grow dim.
For life is not determined in years, but rather by the deeds of men." -
Unknown

Old 19-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Steveo

"Clayton1970" wrote:
I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live
in NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come
a long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

There's no quick easy way, unless you rock over it..your soil and
drainage are likely bad. Maybe Northern exposure with trees to boot.

You are doomed!

Not really..you'll need to improve you one or all of the things
I mentioned to grow grass there.

You can grow certain ground covers in poor/acidic soil tho.

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old 19-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Limpensi

"Clayton1970" wrote in message
I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live

in
NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come a
long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

--

Clayton

"Do not shed your tears for me, I was not born to watch the world grow

dim.
For life is not determined in years, but rather by the deeds of men." -
Unknown

The fastest way to get rid of moss is ferrosulphate.
After applying it you'll need to remove the dead moss though, or get some
fertilizer with bacteria that eat the dead moss.

Br,

Old 19-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Jim Sullivan

"Clayton1970" wrote in message
I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live
in
NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come a
long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

In the middle of my second summer in the Pacific NorthWest and still
learning about my lawn. WIth regards to moss, I think that all you can do
is get it under control and then live with it. Go to Costco and get some
RidMoss (or something like that in a yellow and white bag). Spread that
around now. It will kill the moss and make your lawn look like hell for a
while (all that green from the moss becomes black) but this is the first
step.

If it's really thick, get out the garden rake or dethatcher and rake up the
dead moss. You'll need to wait until the fall to overseed, so if you want
to wait until then to do that, fine. Once you've got the moss out, I'd
dethatch and then overseed (some say get a split seeder to do that).

Finally, get into a regime of applying lime to the soil every spring or
fall. I had bad moss a year ago, but I've got it under control and I'm
reasonably happy with the lawn, with the exception of the crabgrass!

--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington

Old 19-06-2004, 04:03 AM
Steveo

"Jim Sullivan" wrote:
[...]

I'll bet he doesn't have -one- crabgrass plant where his moss is growing.

Grass seed will not grow there.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Old 19-06-2004, 03:08 PM
BonnieJean

"Clayton1970" wrote:
I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I

live
in NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower

and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick

and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come
a long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

It's too bad you don't like it. I love moss and wish my entire lawn was only
moss....green, short and no mowing required.

Bonnie in NJ

Old 19-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:26:14 -0700, Clayton1970 wrote:

I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live
in NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come a
long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

Good day Clayton. I'm always getting calls about moss and removal. From
your desrciption, I would assume that your soil has high clay content and
you very likely have poor drainage. To reduce your moss, you will need to
correct the base problems.

Drainage.
If your lawn is a bit wet and soft in these moss covered areas then you
have drainage issues. The corrective stance would be to hard pipe your
roof drains, french drain or curtain drain some of the worse areas and
hard pipe that away from the property and if you don't have the grade to
do that then you would need to construct a dry well for capture. Most of
this is rather cheap to do... if you do the labor 80)

Clay soil.
Clay soil is mostly this issue with lawns and moss. You will read that you
need to lime your lawn to raise your ph. The ammount of lime you will need
to use to correct low ph in your soil maybe so much that you'll have to do
it over a few seasons. I would suggest that you consider lime if your soil
is under 6.3 ph. Grass will do better with a lower ph than a higher ph.
When your ph gets over 7, you'll find the weeds become much more of a
problem. Imho the best stuff to bust up clay soil is plain old grass roots.

Suggestions.
Figure out if you have drainage issues on your property. Do what you can
to correct them.

Wait untill fall.

Lay moss killer. Wait untill moss has turned completely black.

Thatch the lawn area with a power thatcher. Bluebird is one of the best
machines to use imho. Rental should be under 80 dollars for the day.

Over seed the lawn area, fertilize and water.

Aerate the lawn in the spring and if the lawn area is really hard clay,
aerate again in the fall. From here on out, aeration is the only thing
that you will need to do on a regular basis. One or two times a year for
the next few years and your moss will not be much of an issue.

Btw, where are you located here in the Pnw? I'm in Bellingham.
Have a good day.

Old 20-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Limpensi

"Limpensi" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm, yes, but since I live in the Netherlands and you probably don't there's
not much point in me giving you some brand names... Try your local gardening
supplier and tell them exactly what you want and why. Be careful that they
don't stuff you with some cheap compost or sth. like that (or sth. with
toxins). And be sure to water a lot after applying it if it doesn't rain, it
only works with a lot of water (but not too much .

Br,

Old 20-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Die Spammer

why not get a thatch blade for your mower?

Old 20-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Clayton1970

I thought about that.......are they any good?? I have searched a bit on line
but haven't found too much about them.

Old 22-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Limpensi

Clayton1970 wrote:
Any suggestions for a fertilizer that eats the dead moss away????

My experience is that they either are not powerful enough and leave half the
thatch there, or that they are (powerful enough) and remove up to 50% of
your grass. So it more or less depends on how deep the moss is and on what
type of machine you're hiring/buying..

And even then, moss will grow back, unless you keep the ground calcianated?
enough. For a lawn it should be anywhere between 6-7 Ph. The higher the
better against moss.

Br,

Moss control [email protected] Lawns 0 27-04-2007 11:33 AM
Moderated is a control measure for control freaks RTB Ponds 5 28-11-2006 09:37 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
Moss Control scott Australia 3 23-11-2004 09:28 AM
Use Moss Control Product to Add Potash to My Lawn? Jay Chan Lawns 10 31-08-2004 05:31 PM