Old 26-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Dave

Default Milky Spore by Mailorder

I keep wanting to try this stuff but it is not cheap and there is
considerable price variation between different vendors. Can anyone
recommend a mailorder source? Thanks.
Old 27-06-2004, 05:08 AM

On 26 Jun 2004 07:06:16 -0700, (Dave) wrote:

I keep wanting to try this stuff but it is not cheap and there is
considerable price variation between different vendors. Can anyone
recommend a mailorder source? Thanks.

I got mine from a local hardware store, but I've head good things
about
http://www.gardeners.com/ and their customer service.

BTW, you migh consider whey type of milky spore you get. The orginial
was a power that you applied a small amount every several inches.
This took a while. The stuff I found was the spore was embedded into
a desolving clay granual(kitty litter like). You take it and spread
it like fertilizer. Easier and less back breaking.

hth,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********************************
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds.
Old 30-06-2004, 11:02 AM
J.Caldwell

Ya but...Learning that milky spore does a good job controlling Japanese
Beetles, I also learned that the adults can wing it from a mile away. Unless
you can at least control your entire neighborhood your effort will be noble
rather than effective. Last year, I bought traps with pheromones. It worked
great! I collected hundred of the little suckers from all my neighbors lots.

om...

Old 30-06-2004, 04:21 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:03:20 -0500, "J.Caldwell"
wrote:

Ya but...Learning that milky spore does a good job controlling Japanese
Beetles, I also learned that the adults can wing it from a mile away. Unless
you can at least control your entire neighborhood your effort will be noble
rather than effective. Last year, I bought traps with pheromones. It worked
great! I collected hundred of the little suckers from all my neighbors lots.

Sounds lke you are doing the neigbhor hood a favor. If your land is
treated, the beetles can lay all they want, but the grubs on your land
will die too soon before they do any damage. So, all you're doing
with those traps is spending money and being neighborly.

Good luck,

tom

. com...

Old 30-06-2004, 10:08 PM

On 30 Jun 2004 17:16:56 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

(Dave) wrote:
I keep wanting to try this stuff but it is not cheap and there is
considerable price variation between different vendors. Can anyone
recommend a mailorder source? Thanks.

Be sure you don't use any other grub control after you put down
your milky spore bacteria. You have to let the grubs feed on the
spore, and then die from milky disease for it to start working.

If you have had bad grub problems you may want to consider Merit,
or Mach II. Right now would be the time to apply those.

Milky Spore takes -lots- of patience, and crossing your fingers.

You are right, directions recommend two years of 'seeding' the ground
with the granular stuff. Right now my house is being pelted with
beetles, and they are crawling all over my trees. And it hasn't been
two full years yet, so I suspect my grass is going to take some damage
this fall.

later,

Old 01-07-2004, 02:12 AM

On 01 Jul 2004 00:47:08 GMT, Steveo

wrote:

(Dave) wrote:
I keep wanting to try this stuff but it is not cheap and there is
considerable price variation between different vendors. Can anyone
recommend a mailorder source? Thanks.

Be sure you don't use any other grub control after you put down
your milky spore bacteria. You have to let the grubs feed on the
spore, and then die from milky disease for it to start working.

If you have had bad grub problems you may want to consider Merit,
or Mach II. Right now would be the time to apply those.

Milky Spore takes -lots- of patience, and crossing your fingers.

You are right, directions recommend two years of 'seeding' the ground
with the granular stuff.

You may end up having to 'seed' with grass seed a few times, before you
have accumulated enough dead grubs to protect your soil. Every grub that
dies from the milky disease contibutes to the spore population of your
soil. short description for people that aren't familiar with the
milky spore approach

Right now my house is being pelted with
beetles, and they are crawling all over my trees. And it hasn't been
two full years yet, so I suspect my grass is going to take some damage
this fall.

How big are your lawn areas? (sq ft)

Very small, so any 'damage' looks significant. 5000sq-ft

Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM

On 01 Jul 2004 01:58:23 GMT, Steveo

wrote:

How big are your lawn areas? (sq ft)

Very small, so any 'damage' looks significant. 5000sq-ft

YORE DOOMED! g

Ha ha ha, I think you're right.

Today I'm being invaded by brown and metalic beetles. Even thought my
lawn should be fully protected next year from grubs, my trees and
plants are being attacked.

As you can tell from my lot size, I don't have many trees also.

boo hoo hooo

later,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!

Old 02-07-2004, 12:06 AM

On 01 Jul 2004 18:45:46 GMT, Steveo

wrote:

How big are your lawn areas? (sq ft)

Very small, so any 'damage' looks significant. 5000sq-ft

YORE DOOMED! g

Ha ha ha, I think you're right.

Today I'm being invaded by brown and metalic beetles. Even thought my
lawn should be fully protected next year from grubs,

Is the milky spore doing the protection?

my trees and
plants are being attacked.

As you can tell from my lot size, I don't have many trees also.

boo hoo hooo

Liquid sevin works well if the beetles are really making a mess
of your ornamentals.

Not a tree hugger, but I'm kinda leary with using pestisides.
Especially ones that will require me to continueously apply them.

Gunna break down and hang in my neighbors yard tonight a bag-a-bug
trap. Might draw them away from my tree.