Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Brandon

Default Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

"Colbyt" wrote in message

Since the original Poster is satisfied I will attempt a hijack : )
I am in the process of building a brick grilling island in my backyard

that
will be feed from a propane stub.

The structure shape is not yet "set -in -stone" so to speak because I

have
questions regarding the grilling area.
First I assume the grill needs to be at least lined with firebrick, bur

wonder, how many layers, and do I need a special mortar?
Second, can I build a burner out of say, black iron pipe? Or would I be
better off buying a pre-made burner...
I.E, what kind of danger(s) do I present myself with a home made burner?

(
which I could make to fit the grill size I want?
Thanks for any input.

Brandon

Firebrick uses a special mortar. I can't say for sure whether you need
firebick or not.
A single layer is all that any modern fireplace has. No way you would need
more.

Your home-made burner should work. At least they work great with natural
gas. A premade cast iron one will last forever. SS will last about 3
years. At least that is the longest any ever lasted me when used once or
twice a week 48 weeks a year.

Colbyt

Thanks for the replies about the burner.
I really want to build the entire set-up including the burner, what I am
unsure about is how I should regulate the gas flow.
I see by looking at my current grill that there are adjustable openings in
the line between the regulator and the burner. I assume these allow for
different amounts of air into the line. My question, why doesn't gas escape
out of those? Is it because as the gas is burning it pulls the air through?
Do I need to incorporate that into my burner design or is that not a
necessity?
Thanks
Brandon

Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
n3whs

"Brandon" wrote in message

"James Nipper" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for the very nice responses received on this thread.

My
question has been fully answered, and thanks again group !!

--James--

Since the original Poster is satisfied I will attempt a hijack : )
I am in the process of building a brick grilling island in my backyard

that
will be feed from a propane stub.

The structure shape is not yet "set -in -stone" so to speak because I have
questions regarding the grilling area.
First I assume the grill needs to be at least lined with firebrick, bur I
wonder, how many layers, and do I need a special mortar?
Second, can I build a burner out of say, black iron pipe? Or would I be
better off buying a pre-made burner...
I.E, what kind of danger(s) do I present myself with a home made burner? (
which I could make to fit the grill size I want?
Thanks for any input.

Brandon

I hate these multi group post but heres some links for your homemade grill.
I dont know how good they are so use common sense (sp)
http://www.smarte.com/modulefiles/fe...uildingbbq.cfm

http://www.michaelholigan.com/Depart...ects/grill.asp

http://doityourself.com/brick/buildbrickbarbecue.htm

http://www.bbqmaster.net/bbq/barbecu...rill-plan.html

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/103362.html

Try google search and just type in "building a brick grill"

Old 16-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Mike Hartigan

What you say is very interesting, informative, and, as far as my
knowledge of the subject goes, correct. Yet I'm still confused -- if
all this is true (and I'm not disputing any of it) why does a burger
cooked over charcoal taste soooooooo much better than one cooked over
gas? Charcoal and gas are both essentially flavorless. Could the
relatively high infrared component of a charcoal 'fire', when
compared to gas, have anything to do with it? If so, could a TEC
grill reasonably be expected to provide a more charcoal-like
'flavor'?

In article ,
says...
Warren writes:

Okay Mr. Science. But the flavor isn't from the heat. It's from the
smoke produced by the incomplete combustion of the wood in the
charcoal -- something you don't have with gas which is more fully
combusted.

The definition of "charcoal" is wood that has been reduced to nearly
pure carbon (and a bit of non-combustible ash) by cooking off everything
else in the absence of oxygen (inside a "retort"). Nowadays this is
done in kilns, but in olden days they used to just bury a huge heap of
timber under a clay mound, and poke a few holes for just enough air for
just enough fire to heat the wood to a temperature to boil off
everything but the carbon in the cellulose. People in this old biz
("colliers") were good at knowing when the process was complete, so you
didn't waste any of the fuel when the charring was complete. Before
coke (essentially the same process applied to coal, yielding a
technically pure carbon sponge) was perfected as a carbon source, this
was how fuel to smelt iron was made, and why England and the US were
largely deforested, and why today they're reforested.

As such, being technically pure C, charcoal cannot produce "smoke" in
the flavoring sense, but only hot gases (CO2, CO) and soot (amorphous
carbon).

Commercial briquettes contain clay and wax binders to create the dense
lumps from wood waste, but that doesn't really change the chemistry (the
wax is about gone by the time the fire heats up).

You may be confusing the "smoke flavoring" that comes from burning (or
even just heating) ordinary hardwoods like hickory, which not previously
having been "charred", still contains a lot of potently aromatic resins
that boil off in the smoke and cause the "smoky" flavor. Those flavors
are *not present* in charcoal, which is, in itself, flavorless.

Of course, any heating of meat, such as with charcoal fire, changes the
flavors. For example, proteins denature, and sugar is produced by
pyrolyzation and in turn is carmelized, and the cooked flavors appear.
But these flavors are not sourced in the fuel (carbon in the form of
charcoal), which is merely a heat source.