Old 02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Dave

Default Wild Flower

Hello.

Was out camping yesterday in central British Columbia Canada. On the drive
back, I spotted a vibrantly colored flower along the roadside. I had
forgotten my digital camera, so I picked it and put in a bottle with water.
Took some close up pics of it when we got home.

Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?

http://www.davco.bc.ca/wildflower.html

Thanks, Dave

Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Henry

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello.

Was out camping yesterday in central British Columbia Canada. On the drive
back, I spotted a vibrantly colored flower along the roadside. I had
forgotten my digital camera, so I picked it and put in a bottle with

water.
Took some close up pics of it when we got home.

Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?

http://www.davco.bc.ca/wildflower.html

Thanks, Dave

Well, I checked with my mom because she has a few just like this growing at
the side of the house, she tells me it's a lily, but didn't know what kind.
I looked up tiger lily and found this:
http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/tigerlil.htm

It's similar but the colour is different.

There's also one called a liberty bell:
http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/images/AT1...berty-Bell.jpg
and one called four seasons:
http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/images/AT1...ur-Seasons.jpg
I think the four seasons is the closest but the spots aren't quite right.

Here is the one that was growing at the side of my mom's house
http://members.rogers.com/1henry/lily.jpg

They are quite striking.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
William W. Plummer

Henry wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

It looks like a lily. But before you run out and buy some, note the
Asiatic Lily Beetle (little red bugs) are muching their way through
Asiatic lilies in the entire world. Day lilies are not affected, however.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
GFRfan

Dave wrote:
Hello.

Was out camping yesterday in central British Columbia Canada. On the drive
back, I spotted a vibrantly colored flower along the roadside. I had
forgotten my digital camera, so I picked it and put in a bottle with water.
Took some close up pics of it when we got home.

Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?

http://www.davco.bc.ca/wildflower.html

Thanks, Dave

Looks like a Tiger Lily.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman Services

Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:36:25 +0000, Dave wrote:

Hello.

Was out camping yesterday in central British Columbia Canada. On the drive
back, I spotted a vibrantly colored flower along the roadside. I had
forgotten my digital camera, so I picked it and put in a bottle with
water. Took some close up pics of it when we got home.

Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?

http://www.davco.bc.ca/wildflower.html

Thanks, Dave

Tiger lily ( Lilium columbianum )

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/environment/...olumbianum.htm

This is a wounderful wild lily found in bc, wa, ond oregon. These bulbs
move well and they are rather care free once there are established. I like
the little fruits that they get after flowering.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Dave

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:36:25 +0000, Dave wrote:

Hello.

Was out camping yesterday in central British Columbia Canada. On the

drive
back, I spotted a vibrantly colored flower along the roadside. I had
forgotten my digital camera, so I picked it and put in a bottle with
water. Took some close up pics of it when we got home.

Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?

http://www.davco.bc.ca/wildflower.html

Thanks, Dave

Tiger lily ( Lilium columbianum )

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/environment/...olumbianum.htm

This is a wounderful wild lily found in bc, wa, ond oregon. These bulbs
move well and they are rather care free once there are established. I like
the little fruits that they get after flowering.

Hello again, after 2 days of searching, I finally found another of these
plants (In the same general area). I did not cut this one as they seem to be
rare??

Would this Lily adapt to a home garden if I dug it up and transplanted it?
Or should I cut it and put in rooting hormone?

Thks, Dave

Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:27:02 +0000, Dave wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

This lily isn't that rare (around here in bellingham, wa) and I've found
it many different times before in the woods. I don't suggest that you dig
it or cut it though. It would be kindest to purchase it from a specialty
nursery. If digging is the only option, then mark the area and return when
the lily has died down to the ground for the year. Then treat it as you
would any other lily or bulb. Take note on how deep the bulb is in the
soil, you will want to replant it at that depth.