Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Pool Heater 250K BTU Pentair MiniMax NT - how to read yellow Energy Rating Report?

"M. Osborne" wrote in message

When I got the unit (not installed yet), it had a yellow energy rating
sheet on the side.

Blah, Blah, Compared to similair models, this unit's efficiency ranks:

78 - 82 - - - - - - 97

Is 82% bad? Should I have my vendor provide a different solution? Or
does it simply take so much money per day to run a 250K BTU unit,
regardless of efficiency?

Start with the Btu per hour. Your utility company can tell you what it
costs to buy that much energy. Let's say it is $10.

You buy the energy and you fuel your heater with it. In the most efficient
units, the 97% ones, 242,500 Btu of energy will get to your pool, the rest
goes up the stack. So, for every $10 in energy cost, 30¢ is wasted. Now
you compare it with the 82% efficient unit, 205,000 Btu is heating your
pool, 45,000 is going to the atmosphere. For every $10 spent, 1.80 is
wasted.

Yes, it will take so much per day to run the 250k unit regardless of
efficiency, but how much actually goes to heating and how much goes to waste
is a big factor. So, what will it cost you to run the unit? Depends on
how cold the water is, how much you want to warm it, what the outside
temperature is, etc. In Arizona in August, it will cost nothing. In North
Dakota in February, it will cost a hell of a lot.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Richard J Kinch

M. Osborne writes:

I am putting in a pool, and the Pool supplier provided a 250,000 BTU
Pentair MiniMax NT unit. I mentioned beforehad I had heard that many
units cost $5-30/day to run, and I wanted the most efficient unit
possible (in reason, cost/efficiency).

Let's put it this way. What are you willing to spend on power to heat your
pool? $50/month, $100/month, $500/month, $1000/month?

I expect you have no realistic idea how ridiculously expensive pool heating
is, no matter what the efficiency.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:10 AM
J.Caldwell

Ya but . . A lot of folks can save energy costs during first-time/
springtime filling. Assuming that supply 'cold' water is 50 degrees and
ambient air is 75F you can heat the incoming water by arching the water
stream high and long into the pool rather than simply putting the hose into
it. If, as I suspect that you could pick up 5 more degrees, the energy cost
savings will be significant. I guess, I could go to my physics book, utility
bill rate, pool capacity and test the temperatures but I'll leave the math
go for another day. But unless you loose too much water with over spray, I
can't see what folks got to loose. Just a thought.
"M. Osborne" wrote in message
I am putting in a pool, and the Pool supplier provided a 250,000 BTU
Pentair MiniMax NT unit. I mentioned beforehad I had heard that many
units cost $5-30/day to run, and I wanted the most efficient unit
possible (in reason, cost/efficiency).

When I got the unit (not installed yet), it had a yellow energy rating
sheet on the side.

Blah, Blah, Compared to similair models, this unit's efficiency ranks:

78 - 82 - - - - - - 97

Is 82% bad? Should I have my vendor provide a different solution? Or
does it simply take so much money per day to run a 250K BTU unit,
regardless of efficiency?

Thank you!
Mike