Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
john

Default Question on Phlox as ground cover

I'm looking to kill the grass on a hill that I'm tired of cutting. A
local garden center here suggested phlox as a good ground cover for
the area (southeast Wisconsin).

However, the hill is 25 feet by 25 feet. The planting suggestions I
found on a garden website say that the plant grows between 12 to 18
inches around, so plant them 18 inches apart.

With my area, I come up with 17 rows and 17 colums roughly. That
would equate to 289 plants? Seems like a lot for this area, though
the math seems right.

Am I missing something about figuring area and planting requirements?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM
J.Caldwell

The math looks good but that is a whole lot of creeping phlox. Off hand, I
think that unless you have a full acre plot with a wide vista, that's a bit
much. Here in northern Illinois creeping phlox is used as a spring time
accent plant. Only commercial locations or botanic gardens have 625 square
feet of phlox in one plot. I agree that it looks beautiful but it sounds a
bit excessive. Just a thought. It's your garden.
"john" wrote in message
I'm looking to kill the grass on a hill that I'm tired of cutting. A
local garden center here suggested phlox as a good ground cover for
the area (southeast Wisconsin).

However, the hill is 25 feet by 25 feet. The planting suggestions I
found on a garden website say that the plant grows between 12 to 18
inches around, so plant them 18 inches apart.

With my area, I come up with 17 rows and 17 colums roughly. That
would equate to 289 plants? Seems like a lot for this area, though
the math seems right.

Am I missing something about figuring area and planting requirements?

Thanks

Phlox Paniculata Question Andrew Newton United Kingdom 9 08-03-2009 04:43 PM
Question on moving Phlox Jethro Lawns 0 26-09-2006 02:57 PM
Ground Cover Question Zone 10b Gardening 3 15-02-2004 05:02 PM
Growing a Newly Rooted African Violet -- to Cover or Not to Cover? ... Linda W. Gardening 5 18-08-2003 09:42 AM
Fragrant Phlox... Chris S. Gardening 4 29-05-2003 09:56 PM