GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   dandilions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/78490-dandilions.html)

chris 07-07-2004 02:03 AM

dandilions

i recently reseeded a few parts of my lawn .. about 50% total .. i now have
lions that came back on parts of the newly seeded and older parts .. my
question is what can be safely used to get rid of the dandilions without
killing the new grass that has just started to come up

Steveo 07-07-2004 02:03 AM

dandilions

"chris" wrote:
i recently reseeded a few parts of my lawn .. about 50% total .. i now
have lions that came back on parts of the newly seeded and older parts ..
my question is what can be safely used to get rid of the dandilions
without killing the new grass that has just started to come up

Weed and feed, or weed b gone, but you'll need to wait until you've
mowed the new seedlings at least four times before using either.

[email protected] 07-07-2004 04:03 AM

dandilions

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:28:33 GMT, "chris"
wrote:

i recently reseeded a few parts of my lawn .. about 50% total .. i now have
lions that came back on parts of the newly seeded and older parts .. my
question is what can be safely used to get rid of the dandilions without
killing the new grass that has just started to come up

Weed-b-gone seems to leave my grass untouched, but 'slowly' kills the
weed.

hth,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!

Bob 07-07-2004 11:02 AM

dandilions

"Steveo" wrote in message
"chris" wrote:
i recently reseeded a few parts of my lawn .. about 50% total .. i now
have lions that came back on parts of the newly seeded and older parts

my question is what can be safely used to get rid of the dandilions
without killing the new grass that has just started to come up

Weed and feed, or weed b gone, but you'll need to wait until you've
mowed the new seedlings at least four times before using either.

Please stay away from the weed & feed stuff. One usually does not want to
fetilize as soon as the weeds need killing, so you end up fertilizing early,
or being too late with the weed killer. Also, stuff can have a residule
affect on plants that you didn't intend to kill or harm. Can wash into
tree roots and can even kill some trees, for example.

Best way to get rid of dandilions is to buy a tool called, "Weed Popper"
which is available at Home Depot & some Walmarts. Tool is easy to use,
and gets the roots out as well. The first one I bought was called, "Weed
Hog", and it didn't work well at all. I took it back to Walmart and went
to HD and got the "Weed Popper". Works absolutely great.

Bob

Steveo 07-07-2004 01:02 PM

dandilions

"Bob" wrote:
Best way to get rid of dandilions is to buy a tool called, "Weed Popper"

Are you Fred Flinstone? lol

Guglielmo Portas 07-07-2004 08:04 PM

dandilions

"chris" wrote in message .rogers.com...
i recently reseeded a few parts of my lawn .. about 50% total .. i now have
lions that came back on parts of the newly seeded and older parts .. my
question is what can be safely used to get rid of the dandilions without
killing the new grass that has just started to come up

I don't mean to sound funny, but pulling by hand works for me with new
grass shoots. It doesn't damage surrounding grass and is natural. I
have ~12,000 sq. ft. of grass and hand pull every spring. Yes, it
takes several hours over a couple days, but to me no chemicals is
rewarding (I have little kiddies) and environmentally sound. I *do*
occasionally hit the lawn with WeedBGone and RoundUp and am not a big
tree hugger, but if you don't have too much new lawn, why not hand
pull?

ED REED 19-09-2004 03:39 PM

Guglielmo Portas Wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
[...]

There is a brand new tool out that is used with a cordless drill. It is
called the "dandelion terminator" It is made in the US and sells for
$25.00. The web site is
www.dlt100.com I am the inventor and I use it
all the time.

--