Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Japanese beetles are back!

Munching on the same two trees they devoured last year.

Can I spray the trees myself, or do I need a professional?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM

Liquid Sevin works well, it's available at any garden store.

Thanks...I'll go look for some.
Do they sell it in concentrate that I can dilute and put in my big
sprayer?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
William W. Plummer

Steveo wrote:

wrote:

On a side note, I live in easter pa, have they layed eggs already?

I've seen tiny brown spots where the grass comes up in handfuls? I
thought this would happen at the end of July.

Look for billbug grubs. They're very small with no legs, look at
the second picture down.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05516.html

I like that article. It points out that the egg-laying has been going
on for a month and a half and those eggs will hatch next spring.
Attracting the flying beetles now may save your trees but spraying
everything green with a toxic chemical is not a good idea. The chart
is a bit out of date -- Sevin and diazinon are being phased out by order
of the FDA. "Eight" is available to replace "Sevin".
Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Steveo wrote:

wrote:

On a side note, I live in easter pa, have they layed eggs already?

I've seen tiny brown spots where the grass comes up in handfuls? I
thought this would happen at the end of July.

Look for billbug grubs. They're very small with no legs, look at
the second picture down.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05516.html

I like that article. It points out that the egg-laying has been going
on for a month and a half and those eggs will hatch next spring.

Nope, those billbug larve will feed this summer. The billbug over-winters
as an adult, not a grub.

Attracting the flying beetles now may save your trees but spraying
everything green with a toxic chemical is not a good idea.

Um..he said -two- tress. Is that everything green?

The chart
is a bit out of date -- Sevin and diazinon are being phased out by order
of the FDA. "Eight" is available to replace "Sevin".

The only reason it's being phased out is over-use, not because of
its LD-50.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM

On 12 Jul 2004 10:27:28 GMT, Steveo

On a side note, I live in easter pa, have they layed eggs already?

I've seen tiny brown spots where the grass comes up in handfuls? I
thought this would happen at the end of July.

Look for billbug grubs. They're very small with no legs, look at
the second picture down.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05516.html

I'm in my second year of laying down milkyspore so I'm trying to avoid
laying down any harse pesticides. I'm guessing I'm going to have to
live with the small dead spots till next year.

Would feeding the lawn help get it through this bad bug year?

later,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com
Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM

On 12 Jul 2004 12:28:32 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Steveo wrote:

wrote:

On a side note, I live in easter pa, have they layed eggs already?

I've seen tiny brown spots where the grass comes up in handfuls? I
thought this would happen at the end of July.

Look for billbug grubs. They're very small with no legs, look at
the second picture down.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05516.html

I like that article. It points out that the egg-laying has been going
on for a month and a half and those eggs will hatch next spring.

Nope, those billbug larve will feed this summer. The billbug over-winters
as an adult, not a grub.

Attracting the flying beetles now may save your trees but spraying
everything green with a toxic chemical is not a good idea.

Um..he said -two- tress. Is that everything green?

One bush on my property edge(it's the neighbors, but in full view of
my deck) is still somewhat green, and another small tree(20') has red
leaves so it's not green. I have two other trees, maples(one red)
weren't touched by the beetles. As you can tell only three full
trees, and having one under attack weirded me out.

So much work for such a small piece of land.

later,

tom

The chart
is a bit out of date -- Sevin and diazinon are being phased out by order
of the FDA. "Eight" is available to replace "Sevin".

The only reason it's being phased out is over-use, not because of
its LD-50.

http://www.FindMeShelter.com
Free Text Real Estate Ads!
FSBO's and Agents Welcome.
Old 13-07-2004, 04:11 PM

Yes, it's sold in concentrate for hose end or pump sprayers.

They were out of Sevin, so I bought Bug-B-Gone, hose sprayer.

I sprayed the three trees that were infested, and about 10 minutes
later the ground and driveway were covered with dying beetles.

Now we'll see how long it lasts.